PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu Brainstorming

Adamant1988
July 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM
I just want to see if we can generate any ideas that could be used in edgy or perhaps even in the release following edgy, and to help Ubuntu become much easier to spread.

My ideas:
More information about your system when you install Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a very strong moral stance to it about non-free software. Much like google's "don't be evil" (yes I know about the thing with China,regardless you have to give google some props for standing up for what they believe in) Ubuntu has that 'friendly' and 'welcoming' feel to it that could really attract new users. Giving those users a link on their desktop to some information about Ubuntu, as well as a new user guide since documentation isn't included or purchaseable without some very extensive googling, would be great I think(Suse does video tutorials and it's a very nice touch for the end user)

An innovative interface:
Ubuntu is currently in a position that some serious innovation could be done for a slick and user friendly interface. I don't have any solid ideas but I know that if people wen't "Oh wow" when they saw the Ubuntu interface that would be a major temptation to use right there... the "cool factor" is such a big deal to people.

Boxed sets:
I know that not many agree with me on this one, but I'm still opinionated about it. Purchaseable Ubuntu boxed sets with documentation and an addons CD (maybe with a t-shirt too, like in the german set) would be GREAT. People like official representations of the products they get, you know what I mean... The shipit cd's are great for people who know what they're doing, but if you give Joe End user a shipit cd at a town function or something... he might not have a clue what to do with it past putting it in his computer. So the included documentation would help him there. And the included t-shirt would be well, advertising, free advertising for Ubuntu at that.
I'm sure this idea could be elaborated on forever, but I won't waste text space... Anyone else have some ideas?

REMEMBER: critique of ideas is allowed but lets not pull any "That's stupid" or the like of ideas.. The whole idea of brainstorming is to generate ideas, we can weed out the not-so-good ones later.