PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems after upgrade to 12.04 from 10.04

mjlovallo
June 1st, 2013, 08:23 PM
I recently upgraded to 12.04 LTS for 10.04 LTS. Besides the shock of the new desktop environment, I have been very disappointed with performance and have also had numerous problems which are making usability very difficult. For starters, I frequently get an error message about my printer, which also sometimes prints and sometimes doesn't. This only happens on boot up or if printer is off and I turn on after boot. Message reads: Sorry, Ubuntu 12.04 has experienced an internal error.......Excutable path /usr/share/hplip/config-usb-printer.py" Then I get "Could not determine the package or source package name" I am also having an issue with flash video and sound being too fast. Also occasional freeze up when opening various apps or files to the point of having to shut off computer and restarting.

I've come to the conclusion that this all has something to do with upgrading rather than a clean install. Any insight to these issues would greatly appreciated. My system is as follows: Pentium 4, 3.40GHz, Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370, 32 bit, 236.9 GB free disk space.

ahallubuntu
June 1st, 2013, 09:07 PM
~

ahallubuntu
June 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
~

ajgreeny
June 1st, 2013, 09:31 PM
I also suspect that your graphic card will be not good enough to run unity properly.

As well as the gnome-classic desktop mentioned above have a look at Xubuntu which uses the xfce desktop. I was a gnome 2 user and lover, also on Ubuntu 10.04 until about 2 months ago when I got a new machine, and at that time I moved over to Xubuntu 12.04. Now I am fixed on that and think it is brilliant!