PDA

View Full Version : 5 reasons NOT to use Linux

richbarna
July 13th, 2006, 04:48 PM
The regular users, I'm sure, will have already seen this, sorry.
The new users may not. I am a bit behind the times with some articles, but this really made me chuckle.
http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~usge/phil/why_not_linux.html (http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/%7Eusge/phil/why_not_linux.html)

Here is the full article :- (Is your son a hacker?)
http://www.adequacy.org/stories/2001.12.2.42056.2147.html

bruce89
July 13th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Is the "Is your son a hacker?" a joke, or is it supposed to be serious?

Radioactive Fellow
July 13th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I cant beleive theres people with so little to do and so ignorant as to write articles based on absolutley any coherent idea.

Update:
This gots to be a joke, I cant beleive this, it cant be true. I red it a second time and my god!. Everyone should read this, its a no time waste. You are going to have a good laugh.

bruce89
July 13th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I cant beleive theres people with so little to do and so ignorant as to write articles based on absolutley any coherent idea.

AFAIK, they are jokes. (I hope)

richbarna

Joke No!, This guy is ABSOLUTELY serious, that's what makes it such a p*ss take :)
Have a look at the full article and read what he calls "hacker" software, and his description of AMD and Lilo bootloader.
It is unbelievable, this guy is now a living joke.

EDIT: This is a joke, thank God. I took the link from another forum that said it was serious. However further down in this thread is a wiki link to Adequacy (thanks wolki) the original website.
It just seemed SO convincing.

bruce89
Joke No!, This guy is ABSOLUTELY serious, that's what makes it such a p*ss take :)
Have a look at the full article and read what he calls "hacker" software, and his description of AMD and Lilo bootloader.
It is unbelievable, this guy is now a living joke.

Yikes, that is quite scary then.

I believe there are people like this. Reminds me of Shelly.

slimdog360
July 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
"Now I know that the hacker Linyos Torovoltos, the creator of Linux, has a special deal with the monitor industry. They pay him fees so that he inserts dangerous code, parts of a hacker program, in Linux to destroy the monitors."
Damm that Linyos Torovoltos.
Thats a great read, I dont know where people come up with the ideas to write this sort of stuff, keep it coming.

Rackerz
July 13th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I hope this is a joke, seriously. If it was true the person writing is stupid to say the least.

hesee
July 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM

Must be a joke. No one can't be that stupid. But i'm afraid someone could take it as fact.

matthew
Is the "Is your son a hacker?" a joke, or is it supposed to be serious?They were both written with tongue planted firmly in cheek. I thought they were hysterically funny the first time I read them (ages ago). :)

Radioactive Fellow
Quake is an online virtual reality used by hackers

This is killing me, I cant stop laughing :-D

MaximB
July 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
what a great joke it is !!!
lunix (linux...yeah..) was invented by the soviets...quake used by hackers...
that reminds my of an old pose of mine , the joke article I posed (link) about why MS is safer then linux.

that got me...

slimdog360
July 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
its got to be a joke, I was looking at some of the other articles he wrote and they are the same sort of thing.

bruce89
July 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Depends what they mean by hacker of course. I can't program actually.

x64Jimbo
July 13th, 2006, 05:17 PM
This is not a serious article. It's written in jest. If this had been real, when the writer talked to the tech at the store, he/she would have told him that Linux is not a hacker tool, but an operating system like Windows. It's good for a laugh, but with the vast resources available these days like Google, it's impossible for someone to continue to have these kind of uninformed opinions.

Radioactive Fellow
July 13th, 2006, 05:20 PM
I must concur with Jimbo, it got me the first 5 mins tough.

But I must say, it made my day. I havent laughed this much since a long long time.

Kobalt
July 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Yeah that'sa good one :)
But I'm sure some people could easily believe this... Shouldn't there be a sentence at the bottom of the article "beware, this is a joke" :p

Cheers !

guine
July 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM
That was one of the funniest things Ive ever read. I really liked the people asking for help and forgiveness in the comments after the article.

bluenova
July 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
ROFLMAO, good one! The Quake one was the best :D

furieh
July 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Well... this makes me wonder wether it is a dumbass with a lot of time, a total retard or a neurotic/paranoid motherf**er.
I mean, come on. It's like:

Dad--Son?
Son--Yes, Dad?
D--Are you reading That LaVey book again?
S--Noooo, why would I?
D--Let me see.
S--(**** I'm so screwed)
D--You're grounded for a year, little man!

If this is the case I hate him so much I would kick him in the nuts if this guy T Reginald Gibbon (http://www.adequacy.org/users/720/index.html) ever came across my path.
:D.But I think this is just a joke.:D
Regards,
Furieh

Wolki
July 13th, 2006, 06:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adequacy.org

matthew
July 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Yeah that'sa good one :)
But I'm sure some people could easily believe this... Shouldn't there be a sentence at the bottom of the article "beware, this is a joke" :p

Cheers !That would spoil the joke. Humor isn't funny when it is explained.

zugu
July 13th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Be assured, this IS a joke. I can't find the thread, but this is recurring. The funny thing is that there are always people who take it as real and post outraged replies.

So again, this IS a joke.

Sheinar
July 13th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Shouldn't there be a sentence at the bottom of the article "beware, this is a joke" :p
The author assumed people were smart enough to spot that it was meant as nothing more than a joke.

And yes, as matthew said, it would spoil the joke.

OffHand
July 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
It's a joke. Check my signature. It's been there ever since I've read this article for the first time. Freaking hilarious :D

richbarna
July 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adequacy.org

Thanks for the link. I read the original post on another site that said that the article was completely serious. Then I posted the link here from another thread.
Thank god it's satirical, I was really worried.
Damn!!! I really believed that this guy was serious. Oh how I want to be able to write like that !!!

givré
July 13th, 2006, 09:02 PM
If your son has requested a new "processor" from a company called "AMD", this is genuine cause for alarm. AMD is a third-world based company who make inferior, "knock-off" copies of American processor chips. They use child labor extensively in their third world sweatshops, and they deliberately disable the security features that American processor makers, such as Intel, use to prevent hacking
lol :rolleyes:

Skia_42
July 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
haha, that was a great read. My dad actually encouraged me to get into computers, he got a good laugh out of it as well.

manicka
July 13th, 2006, 10:55 PM
lol :lol:

djsroknrol
July 14th, 2006, 12:47 AM
That was a great laugh...

Imagine stealing mp3's while not being connected...LOL....

gratefultux
July 14th, 2006, 01:23 AM
That definitely made my day.
Especially: "break into people's stereos to steal their music, using the "mp3" program" ROFL, i better burn my stereo before someone hacks it :D .

sagarhshah
July 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Well at least he knows that comet cursor and bonzi buddy are not good programs although thats under false assumptions that they are hacker programs.

bruce89
July 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Well at least he knows that comet cursor and bonzi buddy are not good programs although thats under false assumptions that they are hacker programs.

Well, I suppose they are hacker programs, but the other way round. It is them hacking into you.

Imagine stealing mp3's while not being connected...LOL....

Anyway free software advocates would use Vorbis.

ekuliak
July 15th, 2006, 10:33 AM
=D> Bravo!

I havn't laughed that hard in a long time (perhaps I shouldn't have read it so late, I might have woken up some neighbors)

I found that list of books (or "hacker manuals") quite interesting. There were quite a few books I never knew about that sound great (when I searched for them on barensandnoble :D ), which I will most likely be buying in the near future. :cool: