PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gparted says: Can't have overlapping partitions.

mkellerman
May 31st, 2013, 04:23 PM
When I boot my Dell Vostro 1400 I get a grub error. I suspect this happened since after it was powered off suddenly while being booted. I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows XP.

I booted from an Ubuntu USB drive and can see my partitions and files in the Ubuntu file explorer. The only unsual thing (not sure if it was like this before the computer wouldn't boot) is that there are two partitions that seem to be duplicates of each other: /media/MEDIADIRECT and /media/MEDIADIRECT_ The contents of these are Dell bloatware that allows you to boot into a slimmed down version of Windows that plays video and audio files--don't care if this bloatware is deleted, if those partitions are causing the problem.

When I booted from the USB drive I ran the following command:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -lu /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x92fc5002

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 307323513 312576704 2626596 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda2 160650 84068144 41953747+ 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3 84068206 312576704 114254249+ f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda5 84068208 267239423 91585608 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6 307323513 312576704 2626596 0 Empty
/dev/sda7 267241472 303353855 18056192 83 Linux
/dev/sda8 303355904 307320831 1982464 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Any idea what I should do? Can fixparts fix this?

mkellerman
May 31st, 2013, 04:46 PM
More info about the grub issue.

When I boot, the following is displayed. (I typed ls to get more info)

error: unknown filesystem
grub rescue> ls
(hd0) (hd0,msdos7) (hd0,msdos6) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)
grub rescue>

ahallubuntu
May 31st, 2013, 04:51 PM
~

mkellerman
May 31st, 2013, 05:37 PM
OK, I installed gsmartcontrol, but my hard drive shows as "unknown model". I don;t see an attributes tab.
The command line output looks like this:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ gsmartcontrol &
[1] 6193
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ <warn> [hz] Warning: exit: Device open failed, or device did not return an IDENTIFY DEVICE structure.
<warn> [app] execute_smartctl(): Error while executing smartctl binary.
<warn> [app] StorageDevice::execute_device_smartctl(): Error while executing smartctl binary.
<warn> [hz] Warning: exit: Device open failed, or device did not return an IDENTIFY DEVICE structure.
<warn> [app] StorageDevice::execute_device_smartctl(): Error while executing smartctl binary.
<warn> [hz] Warning: exit: Command line did not parse.
<warn> [hz] Warning: exit: Device open failed, or device did not return an IDENTIFY DEVICE structure.

Anyway, on to the next bit. I executed the code you suggested to fix grub as shown:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ umount /dev/sda7
umount: /dev/sda7 is not mounted (according to mtab)
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo chroot /mnt
root@ubuntu:/# grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
Installation finished. No error reported.
root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-25-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-25-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-23-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-23-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Found Microsoft Windows XP Embedded on /dev/sda1
Found Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on /dev/sda2
Found Microsoft Windows XP Embedded on /dev/sda6
done

I'm going to reboot and see what happens...I'm wiritng this on the machine with the problem...

You don't have "duplicate partitions." Partitions are mounted in /media by Nautilus. It appears the Dell media partition was simply mounted twice for some reason. The "not in disk order" message is not an error and is not unusual.

As I recall, those Dell media partitions (I had an old Dell laptop with one of those, too) can't actually be deleted. Somehow they are "fixed" on the drive. And the size isn't that large, anyway, as I recall.

You're really trying to fix the Grub error, right? Your hard disk can't boot? Go back to focusing on that. First thing is to check the hard drive S.M.A.R.T. health. Boot up your live USB again and install GSmartControl. Start it up and find the Attributes tab. Look for Attributes that are highlighted in pink or red - these are the ones that are possible problems. (Pending Sectors for example where the raw value is greater than 0.) If there are no Attributes highlighted, the drive is probably not failing.

You can re-install Grub from the live USB on to the hard drive. I prefer the chroot method:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_ChRoot

which in a simple system without RAID, without a separate /boot partition, with one hard drive, boils down to this:

(unmount /dev/sda7 if mounted somewhere else)

sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
sudo chroot /mnt
grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
update-grub
exit

and then reboot and see if it works. But if your hard drive has S.M.A.R.T. issues, you may not be able to do much of this.

mkellerman
May 31st, 2013, 05:45 PM
Doh...I realised that maybe gsmartcontrol has to be run as root. I did sudo smartcontrol and it worked.

In the attributes tab, all attributes were shown in black. I got it to perform a short self-test which completed without error.

ahallubuntu
May 31st, 2013, 05:49 PM
~

mkellerman
May 31st, 2013, 05:53 PM
I rebooted and the problem is fixed. Thanks a lot!

Just one question, how can I change the default OS that is booted if I do not touch the keyboard when the computer is booted?

ahallubuntu
May 31st, 2013, 06:05 PM
~

mkellerman
June 1st, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks, I'll try this. It seems you need to look at the boot menu as it boots up to see when the number after "GRUB_DEFAULT" should be. This issue can be considered SOLVED.

Edit the file /etc/default/grub (as sudo):

gksu gedit /etc/default/grub

and change the number after "GRUB_DEFAULT" to the menu position you want.

Save the file. Then update Grub again:

sudo update-grub

It may take a little trial and error to pick a number that gets you the right menu position.