PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing on RAID mirror dual boot Windows XP 2 arrays

Aspiegeek
May 30th, 2013, 06:32 PM
I'm trying to figure out how to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit on its own dedicated RAID 1 mirror, where Windows XP 32 bit is also installed on its own dedicated RAID 1 array.

Motherboard is Asus A8V deluxe, with VIA 8237 and Promise 378 onboard RAID controllers. XP is up and running fine on SATA Array 1 on Promise controller, 500 GB. 3 partitions, System, Apps and Data.

2nd array is 250 GB IDE, also on Promise controller created as Array 2. From live USB I was able to create 3 EXT4 primary partitions on Array 2 with GPARTED, for boot (50gb) , home (175 gb) & swap (7 gb).

Ubuntu install by default wanted to put the bootloader on \dev\sdb. There were about 15 options listed as to where to put the bootloader, including multiple entries for each of the partitions on both arrays, and the physical disks as well. Shouldn't it be either on either the first (Windows) array \dev\mapper\***, the second \dev\mapper\***, or both? Not sure where to point bootloader.

I went back into the installer to try to copy the options listed but it crashed to a frozen black screen with many messages & memory addresses.

Would I be better off using a software RAID 1 created in Linux instead of the array set up by the Promise controller? Caveat--If the Ubuntu array crashes or has a failed member I still need to be able to load Windows XP.

If the bootloader should go on both arrays, would appreciate step by step instructions for doing that.

Thanks!
Aspiegeek