PDA

View Full Version : What will "Discourse" achieve?

vasa1
May 30th, 2013, 06:11 AM
As an outsider, I don't know what its ultimate goal is. I understand that some communication has been going around "internally". I'm just curious.
Will Discourse "unite" the content of both Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu?
Will Discourse be something that has the best features of both Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu?
Will Discourse take the place of both Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu?
In other words, after Discourse is up and running, will it be the one "go to" place for Ubuntu users?

cariboo
May 30th, 2013, 06:22 AM
Discourse was suggested by Jorge Castro as an open source replacement for vBulletin, but it has a long way to go, before it even becomes nearly usable by the number of members and guest we have here.

s.fox
May 30th, 2013, 07:54 AM
It isn't going to be a replacement for the forum. It is beta software that we're helping test.

I would not look to migrate to a platform that doesn't work. I would also need a good reason to move.

Elfy
May 30th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Agreed.

mastablasta
May 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM
surely the functionality found there now could be added to forums.

s.fox
May 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
surely the functionality found there now could be added to forums.

I am still trying to see what it does that we don't already have / could install. Reinvented wheel.

sffvba[e0rt
May 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Discourse is another forum platform. If in the future it has what is needed versus what we have who knows. IMO what ever happens it won't (and shouldn't) happen soon. Even if it has SSO :p

cprofitt
May 30th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I think the one 'nice' thing about discourse is the fact that it is open source. It also has a different flow to it... not as different as Gnome 2 vs Gnome 3, but it does flow differently than a traditional forum layout.

philinux
May 30th, 2013, 02:17 PM
I think the one 'nice' thing about discourse is the fact that it is open source. It also has a different flow to it... not as different as Gnome 2 vs Gnome 3, but it does flow differently than a traditional forum layout.

From what I've read it's a "flat forum". http://www.discourse.org/

Can't see how it would work like ubuntuforums does. :confused:

I will of course keep an open mind on such things.

castrojo
May 30th, 2013, 03:10 PM
I'm just curious.

It's just a prototype/sandbox to play with Discourse.

tgalati4
May 30th, 2013, 03:23 PM
When these forums first started years ago, there was grumbling about "Why are we using vBulletin (which is proprietary) as an open source software support forum? Well, it worked better than the available (old school) telco/modem bulletin boards that were available at the time. The grumbling died down, because vBulletin works and continues to work. Will Discourse replace it? Who knows?

If Canonical is trying to save money on support costs, then one way would be to replace proprietary tools with open source ones.

cprofitt
May 30th, 2013, 05:25 PM
From what I've read it's a "flat forum". http://www.discourse.org/

Can't see how it would work like ubuntuforums does. :confused:

I will of course keep an open mind on such things.

Not sure it has to work 'llike' ubuntuforums to be successful... it could be something different and meet the needs of Ubuntu users. Think about Facebook and Google+ or even Flickr... those work differently yet meet some needs of a community. I am a bit on the older side in the group of people who traverse the WWW and like the way traditional forums work, but I am open to taking a look at new 'styles' of meeting the needs of community communication.

If Canonical is trying to save money on support costs, then one way would be to replace proprietary tools with open source ones.

Two things.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111013003324/seuss/images/d/d3/Thing1-and-thing2.jpg

1. I would not equate Jorge to Canonical. While he is an employee of Canonical he is genuinely a community member that is interested in growing the community and meeting its needs.
2. How would using open source save money of vBulletin? From what I know the cost is $209... not really going to save money by cutting $209... is there a hidden cost?

grahammechanical
May 30th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Oh, look. The shy is falling in! Oh, no it's not. Oh, yes it is! He is behind you!

Must we have this pantomime every time there is a whisper of something or other?

jfernyhough
May 31st, 2013, 01:45 AM
It's probably not helpful to rumours that the Discourse test has full Ubuntu branding and sabdfl is posting there. ;)

jfernyhough
May 31st, 2013, 02:09 AM
I am still trying to see what it does that we don't already have / could install. Reinvented wheel.Since when has that ever stopped anyone? :D

I have to agree with the consensus here. The existing forum is established and works well. Building a new one from scratch can be horrific (I've seen it done it before with a community where I was a supermod); either you lose a load of content or you have a load of dead threads - and how long do you keep those around for?

vasa1
May 31st, 2013, 03:21 AM
Oh, look. The shy is falling in! Oh, no it's not. Oh, yes it is! He is behind you!

Must we have this pantomime every time there is a whisper of something or other?

What from here makes you feel I've started a pantomime?
Will Discourse "unite" the content of both Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu?
Will Discourse be something that has the best features of both Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu?
Will Discourse take the place of both Ubuntu Forums and Ask Ubuntu?
In other words, after Discourse is up and running, will it be the one "go to" place for Ubuntu users?

What do you categorize as a whisper?

Moose
May 31st, 2013, 05:09 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only person here that's reading this and wondering what the hell "Discourse" is.

CharlesA
May 31st, 2013, 05:16 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only person here that's reading this and wondering what the hell "Discourse" is.

It's an open source forum software.
http://www.discourse.org/

Very new, too.

Moose
May 31st, 2013, 05:27 AM
Thanks, man. I'll have a look later. c: