PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AMD Radeon 7970M Catalyst + Xrandr causes flickering screen

dffx
May 30th, 2013, 04:20 AM
I've been wrestling with getting the Catalyst drivers to work with my Enduro-powered laptop (7970M + Intel), and I've been able to install the Catalyst drivers successfully. However, whenever I enable the discrete card and login, and I attach an external monitor and try to span the screen across both monitors, I get intense flickering on both monitors. I took a quick video to show the result, as I've found it kind of difficult to describe:

http://youtu.be/OHGIep3lvsg

This *only* happens when the desktop i spanning both monitors -- it works flawlessly when I'm just using 1 monitor, or have the monitor cloned. The Intel card can extend the desktop without any issue at all.

I followed these instructions to get the card working at all: http://askubuntu.com/questions/205112/how-do-i-get-amd-intel-hybrid-graphics-drivers-to-work/288355#288355

Does anyone know what might be causing this flickering?

Ubuntu 13.04 x64
Catalyst 13.6 beta
3.8.0-22-generic

Thanks!

dffx
May 30th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Strangely enough, when I use the following xrandr command it works without any flickering at all:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --left-of HDMI1 --output HDMI1 --auto --scale 1.0001x1.0001

the tiny amount of scaling is not noticeable on my external monitor, and it *seems* to have removed any flickering of the screens. I don't really consider this to be a solution, however, only a sloppy work around.

g3n1uss-yandex
August 9th, 2013, 04:13 AM
It seems the issue is caused by Xrandr. It cannot be disabled, even though you tell Ubuntu to disable it in configs, nothing happens. So neither this command sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandR12,FALSE" either other ways do not work. The same with a new beta driver :( But thank you for this temporary solution!

emgiezet
November 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM
You save my day!

I was fighting with this for 2 weeks. And get used to work on single external monitor!

THX!