PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ub13.04 mini-ISO install assist request

w8@charter.net
May 29th, 2013, 08:05 PM
UB 13.04 mini.iso install proceeds normally; seems to complete. Boot to system results in no gui; two lines of text are 'Ubuntu 13.04 ubuntu13 tty1' and 'ubuntu13 login: * Starting [ OK ]' Ideas to get to a gui?

Cheesemill
May 29th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Did you actually tell the installer to install a GUI?

I don't think that the mini CD doesn't installs a GUI by default, just a command line system. To install the full Ubuntu desktop log in and run...

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

ajgreeny
May 29th, 2013, 10:59 PM
It will depend on which GUI you want to have installed, but as an example have a look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall which is for Lubuntu, and a more general thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1945241

If you don't want Lubuntu you can choose any other of the *ubuntu-desktop packages, or you can do the whole thing manually by adding xorg, a window manager of your choice and a display manager, eg openbox and xdm, then adding the application packages you need or want such as firefox or chromium, etc etc.

It's your choice, so enjoy!

Bashing-om
May 30th, 2013, 12:48 AM
w8@charter.net; Hi !

My input: I just installed 13.04 minimal.
Ya gotta have xorg for a "GUI"

sudo apt-get install xorg
Ya gotta have some type of a desktop environment, I chose "xfce4"

sudo apt-get install xfce4 some want the "extras" Look prior to installing;

sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies

I had problems with "XAUTHORITY" not set causing all kinds of authentication issues, your mileage may vary; ask here.

Getting google-chrome installed is challenging, but can be done, I did it, any one can !

Now you have a basic operational GUI system, - NO login manager -
Start the Xsession (GUI) from your command line :

startxfce4 Do some homework to use "startx" to start the GUI !

Any additional packages you want on your system, utilize the above procedure to obtain what you desire. I strongly advise to use what xfce4 provides, get used to them before installing alternates -play with that desk top. It grew on me. Fast and intuitive in operation.

this bit should help

w8@charter.net
June 2nd, 2013, 05:40 AM
Thanks to all for your responses. My first attempt at a mini.iso install. Thought I could work around a black screen on live disk boot install. No such luck; got as far as the color changing line of dots though. The laptop is a circa 2005 Acer Aspire 5003 with an AMD cpu and SIS Video. Known problems with the video were supposed to have been fixed in 13.04. Reverting to earlier kernels did not change the outcome. Have successfully installed Ubuntu 12.04 by following an upgrade path from 11.04. Anything later, upgrade or live disk, fails with a black screen. Ub12.04 works fine, as does Slax and Puppy. Thanks again for your assist. All the best.