PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 live cd is laggy to the point of being useless

raptorhunter
May 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Something is very wrong with the 12.04 live cd. I've used the 10.04 live cd in the past and in general it's literally 10 times faster to do anything. In 12.04, just moving the mouse from one open app to another causes the cd drive to seek like crazy and you end up waiting and waiting and waiting while the apps fade to gray. It's ridiculous. What's going on?

2F4U
May 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Maybe the CD is bad or even the drive is dying (correction of read errors would explain the intensive reads). Ubuntu from a CD is, in my experience, not as slow as you describe. If you have a USB flash drive available you can test if it is the same.

raptorhunter
May 29th, 2013, 06:31 PM
The point is that it shouldn't be trying to read anything just moving the mouse across the screen. Ubuntu 10.04 never did. It would cache the files in memory from the cd and then it wouldn't have to read them again.

ahallubuntu
May 29th, 2013, 07:31 PM
~

raptorhunter
May 29th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I have 2 Gigs

Free -m shows that the computer is only using a quarter of that.

raptorhunter
May 30th, 2013, 01:53 PM
So I left the computer running over night. Turn on the monitor and it takes literally 2 minutes just to show an image. I try to move the mouse and it can't even do that. Press Ctrl-Alt-Left and it takes 5 minutes to complete. Cd drive is seeking like crazy. It's like it forgot all of whatever files it needs overnight and has to load them all again.

Eventually after waving the mouse around is takes like 10 minutes to finally get back up to an extremely slow (but usable speed)

alan9800
May 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Me too I've noticed some slowness using the live CD, hence I created a startup disk on an external HD, and Ubuntu (but even Kubuntu) runs flawlessly.