PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble with finishing up Ubuntu 13.04 installation

RiSe83
May 29th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hello guys,

newbie here. Please forgive me as I am by no means an expert in IT, just a regular user so if you could please answer with the least jargon possible, I would be very grateful.

I have trouble with installing the Ubuntu 13.04 desktop version as a dual OS beside my original OS of Windows 8. I am using a brand new Dell Inspiron 7520.

I have downloaded the appropriate 64 bit version of Ubuntu, created a bootable USB and made a disc partition for it to be installed on. I got to the point when I had to restart my system in order to finish up the installation process without any problems, but here is where I got stuck.

No matter what I do, my original OS of Windows 8 keeps starting up - hence can not finish the installation of Ubuntu and unable to run it. I selected in the BIOS menu that I wanted to boot Ubuntu, saved it and exited from the BIOS settings, still nothing - it is completely ignored and Windows 8 just keeps starting up.

What should I do? Your help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

fantab
May 29th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Try Boot-Repair (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair). It should fix the boot issue. Just run the 'recommend repair' and more often than not you are good to go. If that does not help then post the link generated for "Bootinfo Summary'.

Good Luck...

RiSe83
May 30th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Hi fantab,

thank you for your reply. While Boot-Repair didn't work out for me, I opted to just simply reinstall my Ubuntu OS and it did the trick :)

fantab
May 30th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Glad you got it working.