PDA

View Full Version : what's your favorite artform?

fuscia
July 13th, 2006, 02:14 PM
even though i'm a singer and voice teacher, i find myself continually more drawn to visual arts, especially painting. my mother's a painter and i had great exposure to art growing up (maybe that has something to do with it). one of my favorite things to do is to find a picture in a museum that really catches me and just get lost in it for an hour.

OffHand
July 13th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Video- and installation art. I'm a graduated video artist myself ;)

MetalMusicAddict
July 13th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Music. Im a trained Audio Engineer.

slimdog360
July 13th, 2006, 02:38 PM
phtography, more specifically portraits of people. dont know why?? maybe im just wierd.

Engnome
July 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Music, listen to everything and play classic guitarr.

I'm also beginnig to appriceate the art of programming 8)

RAV TUX
July 13th, 2006, 02:47 PM
even though i'm a singer and voice teacher, i find myself continually more drawn to visual arts, especially painting. my mother's a painter and i had great exposure to art growing up (maybe that has something to do with it). one of my favorite things to do is to find a picture in a museum that really catches me and just get lost in it for an hour.

Living in Washington DC I can get lost in museums here for weeks, they just reopened the National Portrait Gallery,...since I have off today my wife and I are planning to go there and afterwards the art store near by.

As an artist I mostly do black & white photography and oil painting.

fuscia
July 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Living in Washington DC I can get lost in museums here for weeks, they just reopened the National Portrait Gallery,...since I have off today my wife and I are planning to go there and afterwards the art store near by.

As an artist I mostly do black & white photography and oil painting.

i've never been to DC. i'm not sure i could plan a long enough trip to see everything.

GarethMB
July 13th, 2006, 03:09 PM
You're a lucky man. One of the things I wish I was able to do is sing (in tune). I'm a guitarist (self-taught, who isn't), so I'm most drawn to musical arts. That said I'm also an English literature undergraduate, so i tend to appreciate good literature and film/ drama for that matter too.

RAV TUX
July 13th, 2006, 03:10 PM
i've never been to DC. i'm not sure i could plan a long enough trip to see everything.
The Smithsonian is awesome! and the best part is all the museums are free. I have lived here for 6 years and still have not seen everything.

RAV TUX
July 13th, 2006, 03:15 PM
You're a lucky man. One of the things I wish I was able to do is sing (in tune). I'm a guitarist (self-taught, who isn't), so I'm most drawn to musical arts. That said I'm also an English literature undergraduate, so i tend to appreciate good literature and film/ drama for that matter too.

I love Broadway, my wife and I toke the train to New York recently and saw The Phantom of The Opera, after seeing this we fell in love with Broadway musicals and plan to go to New York regularly perhaps move there one day. New York is a wonderful city.

Once you go to Broadway, movies just can not compare.

GarethMB
July 13th, 2006, 03:18 PM
I love Broadway, my wife and I toke the train to New York recently and saw The Phantom of The Opera, after seeing this we fell in love with Broadway musicals and plan to go to New York regularly perhaps move there one day. New York is a wonderful city.

Once you go to Broadway, movies just can not compare.I don't like musicals but I'm down with good theatre / playwrights.

Edit: Question for fuscia.

Is singing considered a natural ability or something you can learn?

fuscia
July 13th, 2006, 03:34 PM
You're a lucky man. One of the things I wish I was able to do is sing (in tune).

if you can talk, you can sing. if you have a problem, you're just doing it wrong. that may be a little on the "hey look, a swan!" side, but it's true and most people don't realize it. best advice i can give you, without costing you any money, is to record yourself. compare the results with what you think you're doing. if it's off, don't try harder (wrong + effort = wronger). do something different.

Dragonbite
July 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM

E.) All of the above. ;)

I like just about all of the art forms out there, though I have to admit I don't ge much of a chance to enjoy them too much (other than Disney Cartoons with the kids).

I love getting lost in moving music until my mind starts to build a story all it's own in my head (which can be tricky when I'm driving to work, but usually the honking horns snap me out of it.. most of the time).

I love being engrossed in a piece of visual art that seems to be alive and not necessarily by looking realistic. I guess I prefer to surrealistic and imrpessionistic artwork the best.

I love going to movies and plays with well written stories and character development that engages the audience the whole time... that is until it ends!

It all comes down to what mood I'm in at the time and sometimes getting "in the mood" is difficult if the kids are fussy, or if I'm pre-occupied with keeping them out of trouble or getting bored, so sadly haven't gone out to too much lately.

Luckily my wife is an artist and we are both very interested in having the kids exposed to the arts. We have a whole slew of art materies available all day long for them to use as they wish.

My daughter (6) is very good with visual arts and since we don't have TV service she's forced to use her imagination instead of copying what she sees in TV programs.

My son (4) loves gadgets and so just recently have been letting him experiment with an old digital camera and some of the shots he gets are absolutely stunning. Don't know how much is luck and how much is a good eye but we're letting him snap away!

RavenOfOdin
July 13th, 2006, 08:05 PM
C++ code, and the occassional classic movie.

Christmas
July 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
For me it's music the art I like best. Others come after it, including literature, cinematography and I like a lot the art of programming.

aysiu
July 13th, 2006, 08:16 PM
I've gone all over the place.

When I was younger, I was really into sequential (i.e., comic book) art. Then, I was really into music. Then, I was into literature. Lastly, I was really into movies.

Now, I don't know if I have a favorite. Non-fiction is my cup of tea, but some may not call that "art" per se.

fuscia
July 13th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Non-fiction is my cup of tea, but some may not call that "art" per se.

making spaghetti sauce is both art and non-fiction.

richbarna
July 13th, 2006, 08:38 PM
The art of communication and oral expression. Languages, humour, wit even sarcasm. The clever use of words in any language. Not everyone can command interest in a subject, not everyone can create laughter using only words. Imagine that by only choosing a certain combination of words, leaders can command an army, comedians can have you crying with laughter, poets and song writers can connect directly to your mind and your heart.
You can learn to paint, sing, and play a musical instrument. Can wit be taught?

ComplexNumber
July 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM
my favourite is music, closely followed by poetry.....although i love all the arts.

-painting - i like everything apart from modern art because its crap and a poor excuse for 'art'.
-music - i love all music except country, death metal, and mind-numbing dance music.
-poetry - i have always preferred poetry that creates an atmosphere and is mysterious. metaphysical poetry (eg john donne et al) and poetry that 'describes' a situation excactly as it is (eg Ted Hughes et al) just dont cut it for me.
-prose - i'm really not too sure about this.

bruce89
July 13th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvingrove_Art_Gallery_and_Museum) reopened a couple of days ago, I still haven't been to it yet.

elettronicha
July 13th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Music http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Schopenhauer#Aesthetics

Skia_42
July 13th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Music is my passion, I play classical guitar and electric guitar. There is always music playing in my room through various speaker set-ups (9 speakers altogether)

Kimm
July 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM
I love photography, and I work mostly with land- and waterscapes.

But I think music is also a wounderfull artform (pretty much anything without growling).

Edit:
I forgot to mention that I play the trumpet :)

jnev
July 13th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I'm very into photography and love music.

skull_leader
July 13th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Video games. :p

Derek Djons
July 13th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I love photography. I also photograph myself: www.derekdjons.nl

lapsey
July 13th, 2006, 11:51 PM
criticism and review

fuscia
July 14th, 2006, 03:45 AM
criticism and review

ah, the parasitical arts.

GuitarHero
July 14th, 2006, 03:49 AM
music. I hate paintings, sculptures, plays, and even musicals.

briancurtin
July 14th, 2006, 04:02 AM
i dont have one. i should probably find something like this.