PDA

View Full Version : First Day as "Linux Server Admin"

EmmEight
May 27th, 2013, 08:45 PM
I am making the big jump from the telecom/networking world, into the server admin realm! (Finally!) :D

My first day of work is tomorrow!

Could not think of a better place to ask for tips/pointers/advice.

I am bringing 2 of my favorite LIVE cd's. 2 Live USB drives. (All 4 with differen't flavors)
iPad, Laptop (Fedora 18), Android Nexus 4

Pen. Paper. Console Cable. Zip ties. My favorite mouse/keyboard. Rubix cube. All of my literature. Chargers.

Any thing I am forgetting?

Any good advice?

I will take anything I can get, I am pretty excited / apprehensive.

deadflowr
May 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM
A dry clean towel.

Megaptera
May 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Lunch!

deadflowr
May 27th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Lunch!

A jug of coffee is good enough.

EmmEight
May 27th, 2013, 09:55 PM
..Just what I needed to here. Thanks all! I think I am putting a little to much thought into this thing.

And yes I have plenty of coffee, and just put a good towel in my bag.

I will try not to panic.

mr-woof
May 27th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I think you're taking too much stuff with you, surely the company will provide a desktop/laptop for you to use? Try to enjoy your first day, it's a stressful experience anyway without worrying what to take with you.

I'd take my phone, maybe my ipad for lunch/breaks and some cash and probably leave it to that. You'll spend most of the day, setting up ID's, security badges and trying to remember where the toilet is! :)

papibe
May 27th, 2013, 11:00 PM
Congratulations EmmEight!

A few personal thoughts:

You'll have basically 2 clients: IT/corporate and your users. IT will set up the rules and guidelines, and your users would use infrastructure.
Think as your job as providing a service (that means to both of your clients).
Have patience and understanding with your users (tech savvy and not).
Most important thing with dealing with 'ugly' situations (emergencies, angry users, services down, etc): take the proper attitude. This is usually described as emotional stability, you don't get angry no matter what, keep your coolness, professionalism, etc.

Best Regards.

EmmEight
May 27th, 2013, 11:16 PM
I think you're taking too much stuff with you, surely the company will provide a desktop/laptop for you to use? Try to enjoy your first day, it's a stressful experience anyway without worrying what to take with you.

I'd take my phone, maybe my ipad for lunch/breaks and some cash and probably leave it to that. You'll spend most of the day, setting up ID's, security badges and trying to remember where the toilet is! :)

I am fairly confident a computer will be provided. The more important question on my mind is... Will an OS be provided??:confused:

Thanks for the tips though. I feel quite better.

Iowan
May 27th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I suspect you will be introduced to an existing, functioning system.
Post results of your first day!

mr-woof
May 27th, 2013, 11:40 PM
As Iowan has said, I'm sure the system be up and running and you'll get the chance to ease in gradually. Post back some thoughts tomorrow

Paqman
May 28th, 2013, 12:35 AM
You'll spend most of the day, setting up ID's, security badges and trying to remember where the toilet is! :)

This. First day in any new job rarely accomplishes anything much.

Moose
May 28th, 2013, 12:48 AM
I don't actually know what you should take into your first day on the job, as I am still in high-school myself.. But I just wanted to wish you good luck! You're doing exactly the same job I aim to be doing when I leave University, so please, definitely keep us posted and tell us every detail! I wish you the best of luck! Have fun. n.n

Irihapeti
May 28th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I wish you the best of luck! Have fun.

+1

Expect to feel a little dazed and confused at the end of the day, especially if you have a zillion names of colleagues to remember. It doesn't hurt to have a little notebook and pen to write things down. OK, you could use a tablet or whatever but it might not be as convenient. (Or maybe I'm just showing my age :) )

All the very best - it sounds really awesome.

CharlesA
May 28th, 2013, 01:36 AM
A dry clean towel.

Always know where your towel is. ;)

I usually bring my "bag" with me to work.. but then again it has my laptop, cell phone and reading material.. soo...

Oh and I have a multiboot USB drive which has come in handy more times than I care to count. :D

This. First day in any new job rarely accomplishes anything much.

Paperwork, security clearance, more paperwork... Sounds productive to me.. Oh wait! :p

EmmEight
May 28th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the good wishes all. I think I am prepared and ready to go!

I should be leaving my house in about 15 minutes.

I will post back with more info throughout the day!

**Shoves clean towell into backpack**

darkdawn
May 28th, 2013, 02:51 PM
U have my best wishes, really curious about ur 1st day, please let us know how it is :)

EmmEight
May 29th, 2013, 02:04 AM
First day was not at all what I expected!

Here sir, here is your new iMac, with two 23 inch monitors, a cozy chair, free coffee, and an entire of staff of like-minded people working in the same room as you..

But also, we have positioned your desk so your supervisor can look over your shoulder whenever he wants. The Trial period has began!

Other than that I got assigned a task to some PHP and MySQL coding.

Not really server admin-ing yet.. mostly just devolopment... But I finished my first task..

My advice for anyone going in on their first day:

1. Brush up on mind-reading
2. Be ready for anything
3. If you don't know ask, but ask intelligently: Would it be helpful if...? Do you have any good suggestions for...? What would you recommend...?
4. DON'T PANIC
5. Learn vi, emacs, nano, hotkeys... How embarissing when I sat there holding the delete key forever and got caught!
6. Show up early, leave late
7. Smile

Moose
May 29th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Was it enjoyable though? Do you like your new workplace? c:

EmmEight
May 29th, 2013, 03:24 AM
Was it enjoyable though? Do you like your new workplace? c:

Absolutely. It is the coolest job I have ever had in my life.

I get paid the big bucks to have a LAN party all day. Snacks and everything.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 29th, 2013, 03:30 AM
But also, we have positioned your desk so your supervisor can look over your shoulder whenever he wants. The Trial period has began!
that would bug me if i ran out of work to do, at least they are not using monitoring software, i would spend more time proving how easy it is to disable than getting work done (i see it as a challenge)

5. Learn vi, emacs, nano, hotkeys... How embarissing when I sat there holding the delete key forever and got caught!
there is another way? if it is more than a small edit i use geany to edit the file (referring to nano)

jasonleegood
May 30th, 2013, 01:33 AM
congrats!

Irihapeti
May 30th, 2013, 02:15 AM

There are some nice cheat-sheets on such things around the internet. Worth having in your wallet for such occasions. :)

In any case, you probably only need the basics most of the time, so a few commands will get you through.

CharlesA
May 30th, 2013, 02:20 AM
There are some nice cheat-sheets on such things around the internet. Worth having in your wallet for such occasions. :)

I particularly like this Linux cheat sheet (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/dabb/). ;)

Irihapeti
May 30th, 2013, 02:24 AM
I particularly like this Linux cheat sheet (http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/dabb/). ;)

Except you'd have to go through some contortions to consult the thing... :lol: :lol:

EmmEight
June 2nd, 2013, 10:58 PM
Oh how words can not describe my love for the Ubuntu forums..

Thanks Chaz and everyone else...

ordering t-shirt now...

For the record:

$'Linux Server Admin' == 'Best job ever';

I have nothing to thank but Ubuntu!!!!
My 'gateway' drug!

THANK YOU UBUNTU!

Moose
June 3rd, 2013, 05:21 AM
Definitely keep us up to date on your progress! ^-^

sffvba[e0rt
June 4th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I get paid the big bucks to have a LAN party all day. Snacks and everything.

Right, where do I sign up? :D