PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation on toshiba satellite laptop

izzydojo
May 27th, 2013, 08:11 PM
so i have a toshiba satellite laptop computer had windows 7 on it problem was it took a day to load and i hated it so i wanted to install ubuntu 12 on it for some reason it just wont install all the way without issues its toshiba satellite c655D-s5202 system unit im installing the i386 cause i cant find out if its 64 bit or 32 bit picture below shows what happens while installing any clue what is going on ?

papibe
May 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Hi izzydojo.

Try going to text mode by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 or Ctrl+Alt+F2

Then login, and try this commands to get information:

To get your Ubuntu version:

lsb_release -a
To know what is your graphic card and the driver being used:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
To check for errors on the GUI initialization process:

grep \(EE\) /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Try to get as much information as you can, and try to to post it back here.

To go back to the GUI mode press Ctrl+Alt+F7 or Ctrl+Alt+F8

Regards.

izzydojo
May 27th, 2013, 08:48 PM
No LSB modules are available
dist id ubuntu
description ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS
release 12.04
codename precise

BGA compatible controller {003} advacned mirco devices amd nee ati wrestler radeon hd 6250
subsystem toshbia america info systesm device 1179:fde8
kernel driver in use radeon

(WW) warning (EE) error Ni not Implemented (??) unknown
129.737 EE failed to load module fglrx module does not exist , 0
130.558 “” “”” “” “” same as above

papibe
May 27th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Thanks.

It seems you have a AMD graphic card, and you are using the radeon open source driver.

I would try to install the AMD proprietary driver.

Go into text mode again and run this commands:

sudo service lightdm stop

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.oldback

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic

sudo apt-get install fglrx fglrx-amdcccle

sudo amdconfig --initial
Then reboot your machine:

sudo reboot
Let us know how it goes.
Regards.

izzydojo
May 27th, 2013, 10:14 PM
the first sudo service lightdm stop worked rest didnt its probably because the install wasnt completely done cus it keeps freezing up i skipped to the next sudo which is linux headers it only got to 9% then froze up so im not sure

izzydojo
May 28th, 2013, 12:15 AM

izzydojo
May 28th, 2013, 12:16 AM
system is still on just screen is Blacked out cd rom is still spinning and shows the power is still on

izzydojo
May 28th, 2013, 01:08 AM
ok so this is the only issue im seeing so far Updates Now work without it going crazy screen seems to be working good after the generic installed i downloaded the new 64 bit today but half the packages didnt take so im installing 223 updates right now the screen seems to be working good only thing that is working internet wise is wifi thank god but i do need wired to work as well any idea ? i looked in the forums for toshiba but didnt find much but ill keep searching we will see if this was the main issue hopefully ive solved the puzzle and it works good from here on out. thanks =) any ideas on what todo with wired let me know thanks

izzydojo
May 28th, 2013, 02:56 AM
well after ten hours it has been determined that it can not and will not accept ubuntu it crashed so im just gonna keep that laptop as a window machine even thought i hate windows i dont think toshiba can be converted over to ubuntu thanks for the help though i will attach the image of the kernal crash shortly

izzydojo
May 28th, 2013, 04:01 AM
well now im offically stumped it wont even run windows 7 it installs fine no issues at all 64 bit amd but when it goes to restart it cant start back up i am beyond stumped now any ideas would be great right about now thanks all

izzydojo
May 30th, 2013, 02:25 AM
SOLVED! Sold machine on craigslist Sad pos its a Hybrid Graphics machine meaning once u uninstall a OS u can never get it back to normal without Orginal media which of course didnt come with the computer so hope no one else buys one like that

Problem : Freezing issues
Solved ; burn it Cant be fixed by any means no drivers no catalyst no amd upgrades Nor Bio updates will fix this issue mostly everything on google points to Old programs that no longer exist due to updates in ubuntu and linux based systems anything that seems to work is only Temp.

=) thanks for trying all greatly appericated this learning moment lol