PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Formatting ubuntu flash drive for macbook pro 6 2

413x0
May 27th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Installing 12.0.4.2 on macbook pro 6,2:
-Unable to boot from cd/dvd because hardware is defective.
-Unable to boot from external usb cd/dvd reader ( boot doesn't detect usb disc drive i think )
-made 12.0.4.2 flash drive with mac osx diskutil
-could not set up dual boot partition since mac hard drive disk was damaged and required a boot from mac CD to repair (impossible). So defaulted to installing ubuntu over the entire mac partition.
-'successfully' installed via flash drive and required a restart, any time there is a restart the boot gets to the ubuntu title and the screen goes blank.
-Determined the image on the flash drive was for AMD ( needed intel )
-(Enter second PC with ubuntu) made 12.0.4.2(intel) flash drive with startup disk creator
-Macbook boot doesn't detect new flash drive

So NOW the flash drive (image?) needs to be formatted for the macbook platform ( from a ubuntu platform ) ( i think? ). How do I go about doing this?

413x0
May 27th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Am I right or wrong in thinking that a usb boot drive can have different formats, such that some are unrecognised and ignored at start up?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu so I can do that,
but the macbook pro does not detect the usb on start up

C.S.Cameron
May 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
With a PC need to set up USB as boot device or first hard drive, not sure about Mac's.

413x0
May 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM
With a PC need to set up USB as boot device or first hard drive, not sure about Mac's.

On mac startup you hold down the alt option key and you can select the device to boot from my macbook isn't recognising any usb boot drives

413x0
May 28th, 2013, 01:21 AM

On mac startup you hold down the alt option key and you can select the device to boot from my macbook isn't recognising any usb boot drives