PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Headless install work arounds

Auraomega
May 27th, 2013, 12:18 PM
I think it's best to open with the fact that it's been years since I last used Ubuntu (or any distro for that matter) and thus there's a lot I can't remember or don't understand anymore.

Anyway, on to the question in hand. I have just bought a small PC to run as a music centre, mini file server and possible hub, I was all geared up to install Ubuntu as I normally would (via CD) only to find that it's not compatible with my super-duper high res monitor. Great.

The initial aim is to get the box up and running and to allow me to control it via my Android phone over bluetooth or an ad-hoc wireless, if I can get that far I can do everything else I need easily enough with a little Google help I imagine, my main issue is that I have no idea how to get to this stage. I don't have a wired network available for me to use (another use for this box is to allow me to link different systems via wifi), I do have a network cable somewhere but I've never much had luck with direct computer-computer connections so basically from what I can see the standard network installs are out for me. If I could somehow get it to install Ubuntu, SSH and set up some form of wireless connection I could get on from there I imagine. Alternatively, the issue with the monitor is that it's 2560x1440 resolution and only a HDMI output and a DVI-I specification, from what I've read if I can force the output at 2560x1440 @ 30hz it should be fine with the bandwidth available, however I've no idea how to do this without a screen!

Can anyone shed some light onto this, or am I really just going to need to hijack someone's monitor at some point?