PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Desktop Environment Specifically Designed for Gaming

King Dude
May 27th, 2013, 02:45 AM
I think there should be a desktop environment that not only aesthetically pleasing for gamers, but is also designed to run more efficiently, without all of the unneeded programs and applications that regular Ubuntu has. Something like Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but more gaming oriented.

What do you think?

F.G.
May 27th, 2013, 03:39 AM
hmm... do you mean something like this?
http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-gamers/
(i havn't actually tried it, but it comes with lxde and openbox, so should be pretty lightweight)

fontis
May 27th, 2013, 03:55 AM
There is one...
Elementary OS Luna :P

It's based on Ubuntu, so you get all the good stuff. Minus the Unity and the resource hunger. And all of it wrapped in a nice and minimalist fashion.

King Dude
May 27th, 2013, 05:24 AM
I was actually thinking of something more official and supported by Canonical.

fontis
May 27th, 2013, 06:35 AM
I was actually thinking of something more official and supported by Canonical.

Well that's never gonna happen...
Canonical are pushing Ubuntu, as it is, and one of their strongpoints atm is the Steam support.
So you'll have to look for other options :P

Horbo
May 27th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Aren't Steam building their own distro? I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading something about it.

grahammechanical
May 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM
People have been saying for years that Linux will run acceptably on low specification machines. That is true but it does not mean that Linux will turn a low specification machine into a high specification games machine. It goes against the laws of the gaming universe.

To have the best gaming experience buy the most powerful hardware that you cannot afford.

People code games as a means of making money. The companies that sell games are not going to reveal their secret code to the developers of Ubuntu. Without information about the code the Ubuntu developers will not be able to make the game run more efficiently.

Let the games developers take the open source Ubuntu code and match it to their game code so that the game runs more efficiently. Ubuntu developers are already assisting the developers of Steam and games to do this. This has been going on for more than a year.

http://ubuntuxtreme.com/opinions/canonical-promoting-ubuntu-software-center-to-game-devs/

There is no such thing as an unneeded program. What you call unneeded is just code taking up space on the hard disk. The application does not in anyway effect the performance of the OS when it is not running. Anyone can remove any applications that they do not want and install only those applications that they want. It is relatively easy.

castrojo
May 27th, 2013, 04:10 PM
It would be nice if someone could figure out a full session for steam so you could load it from the login screen without loading a desktop.

Dlambert
May 27th, 2013, 11:15 PM
It would be nice if someone could figure out a full session for steam so you could load it from the login screen without loading a desktop.

You can if I'm not mistaken.

And I hope the rumors of "steam-os" are true.

kaldor
May 28th, 2013, 12:17 AM

This has been done by a third party a long while back. Didn't look for it, but it should be easy to find.

@ the OP:

>> I think there should be a desktop environment that not only aesthetically pleasing for gamers

What does this mean? I'm a gamer (Quakes, Counter Strike, etc) and I shudder at the thought of a "gamer oriented" desktop. It makes me think of so many "gaming" products which are just overpriced components with lots of bright lights and artwork all over them. This sort of idea sounds like using a kitsch artwork style that would appeal to teenagers. I want a UI that works, and Linux has got loads of those.

>> but is also designed to run more efficiently, without all of the unneeded programs and applications that regular Ubuntu has..

That's what Unity is working towards. Every release it becomes more performance optimized. On 11.04, I couldn't even think about playing games competitively on Unity due to input lag and fps drops. By 12.04, it was pretty well on par with GNOME 2 for me.

Basically, Ubuntu is headed that way already. It's already a fine gaming platform if it has the games that you enjoy.

mips
May 28th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Would simply having a WM like openbox running and steam client autostarted at boot in full screen mode meet those requirements?

Cheesemill
May 29th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Would simply having a WM like openbox running and steam client autostarted at boot in full screen mode meet those requirements?

You don't even need to go as far as Openbox.

I'm currently putting together a guide that starts with a mini CD installation, and adds only the Steam requirements. This boots straight into Steam running full screen in Big Picture mode.

I'll post a link here when I'm all done.