PDA

View Full Version : Audio in web browsers

mehaga
July 13th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

This page:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/mark/audio/play.htm#
shows 9 ways to play audio on a web page. In windows, most if not all of them work, regardless of the type of browser you use. In Ubuntu, however, only 1st, 6th, 7th and 8th method work, if I use Firefox. If I use Opera, it gets even worse (it doesn't recognize mplayer plugin and I have no idea why helix isn't playing most of these).

I wanted to ask those of you who have a minute to spare on this, to try and let me know if they are getting any better results.

Thank you very much for any help.

Peace :)

GarethMB
July 13th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Number 9 is a nifty pre amp lol. My music must have doubled in volume when i clicked it. I don't really have any web sound probs. But thats because i don't view many site which use it. Just youtube and googlevideo. I just wish the myspace videos didn't use flash 8. Still their audio works.

Maggot
July 13th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Worked for me:

1 & 6 but when the page loads I here at least 3 separate sound files.

mehaga
July 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Thank you for your replies. I don't understand why some of them, like #4, play nicely in Firefox on Windows, but not on Ubuntu. It's not the plugin problem cause none of them would play then, right? :???:

Engnome
July 13th, 2006, 07:33 PM
I don't have any sound problems in opera, (generally, that site is weird though) not even video problems as wmv work with mplayer. The only thing is flash were the sound is 0.5 after video. Have you tried searching for new plugins in opera? You can make it look thru every plugins foldeer (FF mozilla etc) automagically if you want to as many plugins don't add themselves to opera plugins folder.

mehaga
July 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I don't have any sound problems in opera, (generally, that site is weird though) not even video problems as wmv work with mplayer. The only thing is flash were the sound is 0.5 after video. Have you tried searching for new plugins in opera? You can make it look thru every plugins foldeer (FF mozilla etc) automagically if you want to as many plugins don't add themselves to opera plugins folder.

Thanks for your reply.
Why is that site weird? I have no experience with audio on web pages, so if you can point me to a better resource, please do. Opera 9 does not recognize any 'new' plug-ins when I click 'Find new plugins' button.
I even tried copying mplayerplug-in.so to .../opera/plugins folder, but it still didn't work. List of plugins shows helix and... flash, I think. And it was easy to install Java plugin.

rowanparker
July 14th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Well for me, numbers 1, 3, 6, 7, 8 & 9 worked.