PDA

View Full Version : Is the Asus X201E-DH01 good enough?

tahdas
May 25th, 2013, 01:43 AM
I'm looking into buying an Asus laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F1I16K/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B009F1I16K&linkCode=as2&tag=wwwcanoniccom-20), but im not sure if intel Ceron is good enough for me. This will be my new primary computer and i'll want to be able to run a few games (minecraft, team fortress 2 and some other steam games, and some in browser flash games.), I'll also be running Netflix, youtube, and other streaming sites.

Would this computer be good enough? If not what computer would be that i could get for less than $350? Is this the best computer i can get for that price?

If intel ceron isnt good enough could i upgrade to intel i3?

Thanks,
tahdas

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 25th, 2013, 03:29 AM
I would not suggest a 1.1Ghz Celeron cpu
I got my laptop (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230531) for $329.99 (yes it was on sale) and it has over twice the cpu performance and 2gb ram more
edit:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089WM09K it is technically sold as used, but is much more powerful than what you are looking at
all you may have to do is use a boot parameter to get the backlight to work properly via software acpi_osi='!Windows_2012'

The A54C series is built on the K54C motherboard, the K54C series is ubuntu certified, the ubuntu certified systems ship with a different BIOS version
there is literally not a single feature that does not work on my laptop with ubuntu (i have ran 12.10/13.04 on it)

Copper Bezel
May 25th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I think these are not comparable products, and the price for the X201E is quite reasonable. You're right, though, that the Celeron is probably not going to be up to snuff for the tasks tahdas is talking about.

tahdas
May 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
They one you suggested is ugly and I don't want a used CPU, refurbished maybe.

Could I upgrade the intel of the x201e-dh01 to i3?

im getting by right now with a chrome book (Mario) and an iPad, so I guess I could get by with an non gaming computer. that leaves basic flash games and good video quality as essentials. Could I get out of the asus?

Anyway thanks so much for your advice!

Thanks,
tahdas

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 26th, 2013, 03:46 AM
I got a used like new processor from amazon (warehouse deal) it was still factory sealed in the box, I dont recall what the condition was on the one i linked but it sold apparently

i doubt you can upgrade the cpu in it, lots of laptops have the cpu soldered into then
you would have to ask asus if it is possible to upgrade the cpu, i guarantee if it is possible it will viod the warranty

gordintoronto
May 26th, 2013, 04:49 AM
Have a look at this web page:
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Celeron-847-vs-Intel-Atom-D525

According to that, the Celeron is about 10% faster than a netbook, so it's not going to be satisfactory for most of the things you want to do.

I suggest you look at laptops in the $350 to $399 price range.

mips
May 26th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I would not suggest a 1.1Ghz Celeron cpu

Listen to this man, wise words.

tahdas
June 1st, 2013, 02:18 AM
What would be a good computer for that price range ($300-$350)? I like something like but high power.

Thanks,
tahdas

loukingjr
June 1st, 2013, 03:20 AM
What would be a good computer for that price range ($300-$350)? I like something like but high power.

Thanks,
tahdas

The bottom line is in order to run most Steam games your problem isn't just the CPU. Most computers near the $300-$350 price range are not going to be satisfactory for what you want to do. It's like asking "What kind of car for $1000-$1500 can I buy to compete in Formula One?".

tahdas
June 1st, 2013, 04:01 AM
Well how much would I need to spend?

loukingjr
June 1st, 2013, 04:16 AM
I don't play games but from what I've read you probably are going to be closer to the $1000 range for a decent "gaming" computer..

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
June 1st, 2013, 05:34 AM
Will the game you want to play work on a entry level Intel GPU
that is the most important detail we need to know
you may want to look at a amd apu based system

mips
June 1st, 2013, 01:11 PM
The steam games using the source engine are not that gpu intensive so you should get away with a midrange laptop gpu I reckon. Look for a laptop which has a nVidia GPU.

Do you a have a specific list of games in mind and a allowable budget? This info would help in providing recommendations. Also which country do you live in so we can provide links to stuff available to you locally.

tahdas
June 2nd, 2013, 04:55 AM
I don't play games a lot, but when I do I want them to work. Here's a list of games I might play: team forttress two, mine craft,some of the FPS in the Ubuntu app store, and in browser flash games on sites like armor games.

I guess I'll save through the summer and I'll be able to pay up to $1500. I live in the USA.

Ive been looking around and I found some computers I like in that range. I didn't see that this thread had two pages, so inpatient me start a new thread more on that subject (sorry mods :(). Link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2150705&p=12673851#post12673851

In it I wrote in more detail what I'm looking for.

Thanks so much for your help!
tahdas