PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] HTPC solutions

masterofthemelee
May 24th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I just put an HTPC together with Windows 8 and there are multiple issues, such as 8 insisting that I only have stereo speakers and some important tools that I use are not supported on 8.

The reason I choose 8 over other versions of Windows was because the interface is easily navigable without a mouse. There are a variety of input devices in use with this computer, and multiple people who use the computer for just one or two things. Somebody who wants to play Gamecube games wants to navigate the interface with a gamepad, and 8 allowed that. Also, our mouse/keyboard device is one of those remote sized solutions, so even when it was in use, just using the directional arrows and the enter key was generally faster.

What interface solutions are as good as this for Ubuntu? I've seen Gnome Shell seems to be about right, but I can't tell if simple tasks can be carried out with just any device, as in 8. What's important here is that, once I've got all my settings and everything setup the way I want, I should be able to launch common tasks with just directional and confirmation keys, and any device that seems to have directional and confirmation keys should be able to launch these tasks.

asmoore82
May 25th, 2013, 03:43 AM
I'm planning to order one of these: http://store.cloudsto.com/mk802-accessories/new-mk702ii-2-4g-air-mouse-with-full-keyboard-and-microphone-detail.html

You can find it cheaper in US $ and there is also an identical device with the Rii branding.