PDA

View Full Version : Video Cards Designed to Run on Linux?

King Dude
May 24th, 2013, 04:23 PM
What if there was a whole brand of video card technology that had fully open source drivers? That way we wouldn't have to worry about the problems with closed sourced Intel, Nvidia, and AMD drivers.

Do you think it could be done?

Bucky Ball
May 24th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

Reason: Not a support question.

Cheesemill
May 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Do you mean like Intel?

The Intel graphics drivers are already open source.

King Dude
May 24th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

Reason: Not a support question.
Thanks.

Do you mean like Intel?

The Intel graphics drivers are already open source.

Yeah, I suppose so, but hopefully a lot better quality. Intel video cards are kind of dinky :/

sanderj
May 24th, 2013, 05:20 PM
What if there was a whole brand of video card technology that had fully open source drivers? That way we wouldn't have to worry about the problems with closed sourced Intel, Nvidia, and AMD drivers.

Do you think it could be done?

Intel.

And that's all I buy. No AMD or Nvidia (or SIS) GPU for me

angryfirelord
May 24th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I suppose so, but hopefully a lot better quality. Intel video cards are kind of dinky :/
For a long time it was that way, but if you haven't tried a computer with an HD 4000 GPU, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. As time moves on, Intel is only going to make those GPUs faster.

Your only other choice is to use nouveau (which from the last I heard still had problems) or the ati driver, which for me doesn't work too well. Obviously if you needed good performance, then the proprietary nvidia driver takes the cake. But if you're looking for a decently supported open-source video driver, Intel is still the clear winner.

vladster
May 25th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Sticking to only one producer is not good.