PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Got Ubuntu 10.04 successfully installed. Business activities?

spiderlandcapt
May 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
I got ubuntu 10.04 installed. In a couple weeks i'm sure i'll get to use more current versions, but for now this is what i'm starting on.

What are some topics, command lines and activities I should get accustomed to in order to have knowledge that would benefit a business?

what about placement tests? Are there times where a prospective employer would hand you a placement tests per say and tell you to perform these tasks?

I'm not really looking to use Ubuntu as a consumer, but use it more as a tool so I could potentially acquire a job in a years time or so.

Feathers McGraw
May 24th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Depends entirely on what your business does. This site (http://linuxcommand.org/lc3_learning_the_shell.php) is great for learning how to use the terminal and contains tutorials and activities (and also explains why it is useful and worthwhile doing...with an example in a business setting ;))

Using Ubuntu as a consumer is a great way to learn generic Linux skills, there are usually two ways of doing everything: the GUI way, where everything is hidden, or the command line way, where you learn what's actually happening and why. Being encouraged to use and compare the two can only be a good thing if your aim is to learn.

Feathers

Maverick Meerkat
May 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
My advice would be to get a newer version of Ubuntu installed before you go getting used 10.04
So much has changed that you will end up re-learning everything.

My other advice is that you try creating and editing papers/documents using LibreOffice, or Open Office to see how those basics go.
LibreOffice comes with Ubuntu installs for the past year or so, but Open Office is still available.

Good luck :-)

Rick

Mark Phelps
May 24th, 2013, 06:11 PM
What is it you really want to do with Ubuntu:
1) Run a business
2) Take placement tests
3) Acquire skills needed to get a job

These are all very different -- and your ability to use Ubuntu to do any of these is also going to vary greatly.

You would do better focusing on one thing at a time, doing a search on the Internet, and seeing what options are available in Linux.

For example, lots of testing is done using proprietary courses that, unfortunately, often run ONLY on MS Windows systems. If you're looking to install and take such tests, that could be a serious problem.