PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest possible computer uk?

AdamInNi
May 23rd, 2013, 10:12 PM
Hi guys, my mum wants a new desktop on a MAJOR budget. I have configured a build for £111 but was wondering if there are cheaper builds? I don't want to use used components. I already have a case and hard drive for her. The pc will run ubuntu 12.04 or windows 7. It needs to be at least a dual core with 2gb ram.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this is the wrong section. I'm new here :)

mips
May 23rd, 2013, 10:23 PM
Geez, 111 pounds is pretty low. WHat have you specced?

AdamInNi
May 23rd, 2013, 11:03 PM
2.4 ghz celeron, 2gb ram, as rock mobo and a 500w coolermaster psu. I will either use integrated graphics or use an 8400gs that I have lying around. I am trying to get it cheap enough to where she will consider it instead of buying a netbook for £80 (an absolute bargin, brand new from PC World) but I know it won't be fast enough for her. The system I would build wouldn't be blazing but faster than a netbook and whenever I upgrade from an i3 to an i7, I will give her the i3 and get her another 2gb of ram.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 23rd, 2013, 11:50 PM
Raspberry Pi, i think that would be the cheapest route possible, note sure if that would have the power you want/need

you would be better off with a seasonic 300w psu for your last post

AdamInNi
May 24th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Raspberry Pi probably isn't quite the power I would be looking for... Haha! I think I would prefer to use a 500w psu to allow room for upgrades to an i3 and a dedicated graphics card at some point :)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
keep in mind how efficient modern GPUs are, unless you mom is a serious gamer, CAD user, or a bitcoin minor i doubt you will need over a 450w unit
coolermaster's psu are really not that good (there GX 430 is ok), there is a reason they are not called powermaster
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

mr-woof
May 24th, 2013, 08:06 PM
okies I like a challenge, how about this lot from Ebuyer? You already have the hard drive and case so..

Gigabyte Board - 36.99, audio, vga and lan
http://www.ebuyer.com/350251-gigabyte-lga1155-intel-h61-2-ddr3-gbe-lan-8-usb2-micro-atx-motherboard-ga-h61m-ds2

Intel Celeron - 29.76
http://www.ebuyer.com/393562-intel-celeron-g465-1-90ghz-skt1155-1-5mb-cache-boxed-bx80623g465+

Corsair 4gb stick - 20
http://www.ebuyer.com/235776-corsair-4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-memory-cmv4gx3m1a1333c9

Casecom 350w psu - 15
http://www.ebuyer.com/169215-casecom-350w-12cm-fan-psu-20-4pin-1x-sata-4x-molex-psu-350watx

Grand total = 101.75

Any good?

angryfirelord
May 24th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I don't want to use used components.
Why not? You're severely limiting your choices given your budget. More than likely, you'll be able to find a used Core 2 Duo desktop instead of trying to hunt for parts if you look for a used machine.

AdamInNi
May 24th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Why not? You're severely limiting your choices given your budget. More than likely, you'll be able to find a used Core 2 Duo desktop instead of trying to hunt for parts if you look for a used machine.

Maybe I should consider it then... would it be safe enough buying used components?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 24th, 2013, 10:49 PM
cpu and ram used should be no issue, those are things are usually don't go bad, personally i would look for a openbox motherboard before used
things i would never get used are SSDs and power supplies (unless they are free/super cheap)

vladster
May 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM
SSD will cost your more than the computer :)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 25th, 2013, 04:15 PM
SSD will cost your more than the computer :)not if you get a low capacity one

AdamInNi
May 25th, 2013, 04:46 PM
SSD will cost your more than the computer :)

Good thing I won't be using an SSD in it, then :P

matt_symes
May 26th, 2013, 01:25 AM
okies I like a challenge,

Grand total = 101.75

Any good?

Maybe not what the OP wants but still... Impressive :)

Paqman
May 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Maybe I should consider it then... would it be safe enough buying used components?

Absolutely, and it'll allow you to cut your costs in half, at least (which means you could at least double performance for the same budget). Most computer hardware is sold off a long, long time before it actually wears out. I would suggest buying hard drives and PSUs new (and optical drives if you need one) but go second hand for anything else.

Worst thing that could happen is you get something which is defective, even if you can't get a refund from whatever cheeky sod sold it to you you're only out of pocket for a few quid. You'll still save money overall.

mr-woof
May 26th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Ha Ha thanks matt, all good fun putting a system together on a budget, if the op needs any help picking/configuring new parts just ask.

Also op, going for the used parts route is a good idea you'll be able to get a cheap core2duo system for less than the new parts i posted, if you're unsure what bits to get just ask me :-)

AdamInNi
May 26th, 2013, 11:25 AM
Will have a wee look on eBay then to see whats what :) Thanks guys! Will report back with my findings :)

AdamInNi
May 26th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Does the AMD Sempron 190 have integrated graphics? If so, I'm looking at a £96 build...

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 26th, 2013, 12:08 PM
no, only amd CPUs with integrated graphics are the APUs
Sempron is ancient, most if not all are single core chips

AdamInNi
May 26th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Ahh ok. It is a dual core 2.5ghz... I have an nvidia 8400gs sitting somewhere so I will dig it out and test it in my build and if it still works, that could be an option...

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 26th, 2013, 06:58 PM
you can use a cpu without a integrated gpu or by using a discreet gpu if you have a motherboard with integrated graphics, but those are severely obsolete
edit
i do have a athlon x2 3Ghz dual core AM3 socket, should work with AM2+, AM3, and AM3+ motherboards, i can sell it to you, but i dont think shipping from the US to the UK is cheap

AdamInNi
May 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Think shipping from the states would severely outweigh the value of the CPU :/

on a brighter note, I will have an 2.8ghz socket 1156 i7 build coming my way soon for free as the motherboard is damaged meaning it can only hold 4gb ram (no big deal, £40-50 will replace that) and was wondering if it would be a good performance gain from my i3 sandybridge? I'm assuming it will be but I'm asking just in case I'm missing something and for whatever reason, my i3 would be faster...

I will give the slower computer to my mum since she doesn't care about performance providing tasks can be done without a huge waiting time...

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
May 27th, 2013, 08:30 PM
When comparing CPUs keep this in mind

Does your app use multiple threads? (can it use over 1 core)

If so you may have something to gain from more cores

Does it have a higher clock speed, if you are using a single core app what is the turbo speed

How different in the architecture, this offsets the value of the clock speed, you may need to compare benchmarks

When I built my desktop i decided for my needs a quad core was better than a hex core cause the quad core has higher clock speeds and the CPUs has the same architecture

An i3 is a dual core with hyper threading which means 4 logical cores, the extra thread has the power that the main thread does not use (gets the left overs) an i5 is a true quad core and a i7 is a quad core with hyper threading