PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Unity with live usb?

XFIS
May 23rd, 2013, 04:47 PM
I'm fairly sure this is a newb question, but it's got me a bit puzzled.

I've had Xubuntu 10.10 running on one of my older PC's for a while now. Because I don't spend a lot of time tweaking this machine, and don't want to spend a lot of time upgrading it in the future, I pulled down the current Xubuntu LTS 64 bit release. Before upgrading, I also wanted to make sure that there were no problems with it running on this computer, so I created a live usb and booted it that way.

I was a bit suprised when it booted Unity instead of XFCE. Is this normal on a live usb, or did I fubar something? If it's normal, is there a way to get the live usb to load XFCE after boot?

ibjsb4
May 23rd, 2013, 04:53 PM
Sounds like something went wrong. Did you do a version upgrade? Did you have an Ubuntu install on this computer? Unity is not included in the xubuntu install so I suspect you did at one time have ununtu-desktop installed.

XFIS
May 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
Don't you just hate it when you post a question and then find out that the answer is something really...REALLY...stupid?

I stuck the USB drive in another nearby Win8 computer and verified that it's booting Ubuntu Unity. I then decided to re-create the live USB, loaded the Universal USB installer....and realized what I'd done wrong. I'd selected the wrong ISO. Doh! ](*,)

josephmills
May 23rd, 2013, 06:03 PM
It happens :) I once spent 3 days lost on a clover leaf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverleaf_interchange

if this is solved could you mark it as such thanks and glad to see that things are working out

ibjsb4
May 24th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Don't you just hate it when you post a question and then find out that the answer is something really...REALLY...stupid?

I stuck the USB drive in another nearby Win8 computer and verified that it's booting Ubuntu Unity. I then decided to re-create the live USB, loaded the Universal USB installer....and realized what I'd done wrong. I'd selected the wrong ISO. Doh! ](*,)

Funny; sounds like something that I would do :)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads