PDA

View Full Version : What is a Raspberry Pi?

cwblanch
May 22nd, 2013, 12:01 AM
Hi,
I have read up on it, but what can it do? Is it literally JUST for learning programming? How is it just for learning programming?
If it is simply for learning programming, can other languages be learned on it? Other than the ones listed I mean.

Thanks!

CharlesA
May 22nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
You can use it for all sorts of things. I know a few people who use it as a router (with USB attached network cards). I know someone use uses it as a NAS (via USB hard drive).

I was thinking about using it as a WAP, but didn't feel like messing with it.

QIII
May 22nd, 2013, 12:57 AM
It's a full fledged (if not very powerful) computer. It even outputs HD video.

cwblanch
May 22nd, 2013, 03:58 AM
You can use it for all sorts of things. I know a few people who use it as a router (with USB attached network cards). I know someone use uses it as a NAS (via USB hard drive).

I was thinking about using it as a WAP, but didn't feel like messing with it.

Isn't a NAS networking storage? I don't know much about that stuff, or if I even have that right!
What's WAP though?

It's a full fledged (if not very powerful) computer. It even outputs HD video.

That's strange. So it's just a computer that you can use for whatever it can do. It's just the goal of those who made it to have it as a programming base.

QIII
May 22nd, 2013, 04:02 AM
As an inexpensive platform for studying computer science, actually.

But it is a computer and a lot of people use them for a lot of purposes. Robotics controls, CNC, NAS, routers, silent HTPCs, etc.

cwblanch
May 22nd, 2013, 04:05 AM
As an inexpensive platform for studying computer science, actually.

But it is a computer and a lot of people use them for a lot of purposes. Robotics controls, CNC, NAS, routers, silent HTPCs, etc.

Ahh I see.
That's an answer I was expecting because of what I've been reading about them. But what makes them ideal (or at least good enough to buy) for learning computer science?

QIII
May 22nd, 2013, 04:22 AM
They are inexpensive and they are a fully functional computer.

markbl
May 22nd, 2013, 10:18 AM
They are a tiny low power linux box which costs $40. So cheap that you can buy them for small personal projects. E.g. I ripped out my old central home alarm system and replaced it with Raspberry Pi + PiFace board (another $40). Now I get emails and sms messages when any alarm fires and my wife and I have full internet/web based arm/disarm and history/status etc on our mobile phones. MUCH better than the old system and dirt cheap to do.

I stuck another one on the back of a spare room TV to give me XMBC. It's powered by a USB slot on the TV and just powers up and down with the TV so it's like adding XBMC (or Plex) to your TV for $40 plus a cheap HDMI cable + SD card.

Just recently a cheap plug-on camera board was released. I am sure I can think of some fun projects for that!

t0p
May 23rd, 2013, 01:57 AM
I live in the UK, and have been comparing Raspberry PIs on ebay.com and ebay.co.uk. The prices on the .com (USA a presume) are generally better than the British site. But I have noticed that some of the ads on the US site state "UK version". Is there a difference between "UK" Pis and "USA" Pis, or am I better off just going for the cheapest? I don't want to buy one from the US site just to discover it won't work in UK for some reason....?

CharlesA
May 23rd, 2013, 02:21 AM
I do not believe there is any difference between a "US" and "UK" version of the Raspberry Pi.

Maybe a different power adapter, though.

vladster
May 25th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I think its just the price diffrence

Kdar
May 29th, 2013, 05:20 AM
I use mine to watch live tv streams on my tv with XBMC (XBian). It also works well with HDHomeRun to watch local channels over local network.
Nice little computer box that can be hided behind tv or somewhere else.

HermanAB
May 29th, 2013, 05:27 AM
Well, the real fun starts once you put wheels on it and turn it into an autonomous rover...

Cheesemill
May 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
There was a post on Reddit yesterday that asked that very question...

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1f607z/owners_of_a_raspberry_pi_what_do_you_use_it_for/