PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is GRUB configuration file?

bobcatpost
May 21st, 2013, 09:42 PM
Hi All,

I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old Toshiba laptop. In order to do this, through trial and error I have found I must set acpi to off. Now, whenever I try to boot, I must also set acpi=off in the GRUB boot options.

Is there a configuration file that I can modify with acpi set to off, so that I don't have to do it each time I boot?

Thanking you in advance,

Bob

darkod
May 21st, 2013, 09:59 PM
/etc/default/grub

Look for the line like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and put the parameter you want in between the "". Save and close the file. Run sudo update-grub to create new grub.cfg.

bobcatpost
May 22nd, 2013, 12:51 AM
/etc/default/grub

Look for the line like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and put the parameter you want in between the "". Save and close the file. Run sudo update-grub to create new grub.cfg.

Thank you for your reply to my question. However, when I tried to save the file after I inserted the option, it would not let me. It said "could not create a backup file...". I clicked "Sve Anyway" but it did not good.

Note that I did change the permissions on this file to RW for everybody (it is owned by ROOT).

Any ideas? Thanks,

Bob

bobcatpost
May 22nd, 2013, 02:46 AM
I believe I figured it out: I changed the permissions in the folder as well as the file, and it seemed to work.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob

arpanaut
May 22nd, 2013, 03:28 AM
You really shouldn't be changing permissions for system files.
If you need to edit a file owned by root you should use gksudo gedit /path/to/file/file.name.
Then enter your user password edit the file and save.
Changing permissions on system files may cause unintended consequences if not now, maybe later.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

bobcatpost
May 22nd, 2013, 11:38 PM
You really shouldn't be changing permissions for system files.
If you need to edit a file owned by root you should use gksudo gedit /path/to/file/file.name.
Then enter your user password edit the file and save.
Changing permissions on system files may cause unintended consequences if not now, maybe later.

See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Arpanaut,

Thank you for the good advice. Fortunately, I remembered to change them back!

Bob