PDA

View Full Version : Usb controller vs. keyboard and mouse!

cwblanch
May 21st, 2013, 06:10 PM
Hi,
What's your preference? I've never once used a usb controller on a pc, but I see a lot of people use it, and enjoy it. Whats the preferences for it?

Mouse and keyboard does seem to be faster, but the controller seems more intuitive, but I've played a lot of Xbox and am still getting started on pc gaming so I don't have much input.

Thanks!

King Dude
May 21st, 2013, 07:08 PM
I use a gamepad because I've been playing consoles for years and it just feels more natural to me when I game on PC.

doorknob60
May 21st, 2013, 08:13 PM
It depends on the game. If it's an FPS like TF2 or even Portal, keyboard and mouse work fine. But if you're playing like a platformer (2D or 3D), or using any emulators, a controller is pretty much necessary. It really just depends on the game, but it's always good to have both available and use what fits best.

cwblanch
May 22nd, 2013, 04:03 AM
It depends on the game. If it's an FPS like TF2 or even Portal, keyboard and mouse work fine. But if you're playing like a platformer (2D or 3D), or using any emulators, a controller is pretty much necessary. It really just depends on the game, but it's always good to have both available and use what fits best.

I didn't think about using it for emulators or platformers! That's good idea!

3Miro
May 22nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Different devices, different interfaces.

You can never play Civilization or Starcraft without mouse/keyboard.

Dragons Age Origins came with different interfaces for consoles and PC and each was optimized for the corresponding controller.

Skyrim comes with identical interface on both platforms, however, I prefer to just install SkyUI mod and then get a PC interface for my mouse/keyboard.

It all depends on the game and the interface.

baqar
May 22nd, 2013, 07:14 PM
I used keyboard and mouse for ages. For me its keyboard and mouse, cant handle controllers well ;(

Incarnadine
May 22nd, 2013, 08:36 PM

Nailed it. I totally agree with this. I don't think a controller will ever be faster and more accurate than a high DPI mouse while playing a FPS game, but on the other hand, can you imagine playing a game like MLB or Madden on the PC with a keyboard? Hahahaha....I would just hook up a controller ASAP. The same goes with emulators. I'm pretty sure playing Sonic The Hedgehog on the keyboard will suck.