PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] XFCE, app like DockbarX but with no grouping?

Tatjanaen
May 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM
Hey all.

This is not so much troubleshooting as a question for help in finding the right software.
I'm using Mint 14 XFCE and I'm looking for software to let me browse open windows, kind of like DockbarX but without that terribly obnoxious grouping that seems to be the core of DockbarX. I guess it wouldn't be as annoying if it didn't have the effect that I can't choose between different sessions of the same program, say different LibreOffice documents. It just brings one up at random/does nothing when I select one of the open documents.
Forums online recommend Talika but that one seems to be abandoned as a project and there is not compatibility with Mint 14/Ubuntu 12.04
The different kind of docks out there seem to be too consuming for this Eee I'm working on. Any recommendations?

dentaku65
May 21st, 2013, 07:01 AM
I'm not sure that I understood well your question (and btw I do not use any docks :-) ) but give a check to Adeskbar
http://adeskbar.tuxfamily.org/
by

ohnonot
May 21st, 2013, 07:17 AM
Hey all....

i just had a look at this (http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php?content=101604) page, i didn't know dockbarx at all, it looks quite nice.
you sure it's not possible to configure it the way you want?
also, i guess you know this (http://www.webupd8.org/2013/03/dockbarx-available-as-xfce-panel-plugin.html)?

adeskbar is nice (very nice! and lightweight!) - but it's dated and might have problems on a contemporary install.
anyhow, try to get the 0.5.x version!

there's loads of taskbars - it seems you prefer the mac os dock style?
i personally like the "strip at top or bottom of desktop" style.

anyhow, if you like minimal, try tint2. it has an option to display icons only for tasks (and no grouping).
but really, most taskbars/panels have this option.
did you try awn (avant window navigator)?

PS: i just had a look at talika; i think i understand now what you're looking for. are you looking for an xfce4panel plugin or a standalone dock?
but, the more i think about it, i think you should use hotkeys like alt+tab and ctrl+alt+left/right to switch between windows and desktops. also middle clicking on the desktop often gives something similar to what you're looking for.

Tatjanaen
May 22nd, 2013, 11:19 AM
Yes, I realised I wasn't completely clear on this but a plugin for the XFCE 4 panel but be preferable.
Basically, the more like DockBarX without grouping the better :)
Or possibly a dock like things that can go on the side (why, oh, why is the panel on Mint forced to be on the most narrow side of the screen? this makes no sense)
I'd like to have something visual rather than using ALT+TAB all the time

Frogs Hair
May 22nd, 2013, 02:31 PM
I run Dockbarx in XFCE strictly as a most used application launcher and move it to all sides of the screen in preferences. I am unclear about the grouping question though.

Latest picture. http://www.use.com/a2f40ca46a90ba83b55c

Tatjanaen
May 23rd, 2013, 03:09 AM
Frogs Hair, I am not interested in it as a launcher but as a window manager between open programs. By grouping I mean that way in which different sessions of the same program gets "grouped" into the same icon.
I found out that using the standalone dockx the issues of selecting session that I experience with the XFCE4 panel applet are nor present, i.e. I can choose which session I wish to bring up and it seems to do so unlike the XFCE4 applet that brings up a random session/mimises the active window or simply does nothing. Say, if I need to paste something from LibreOffice document A into document B, I can't rely on the DockbarX to bring forth document B when I click on it.

ohnonot
May 23rd, 2013, 07:16 AM
i think the problem is this:
you will never get an app that suits you 100% straight away.
either you adapt your needs or you start writing/creating/customizing yourself.
tip: right click -> preferences is usually a good starting point.

@frogshair: nice screenshot. cheesy & nerdy ;-)

Frogs Hair
May 23rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
What I found suggests the developer has or had no interest in toggling the grouping feature on and off in Dockbarx. I have used GLX Dock and Awn in the past, but don't remember how those docks handled more than one instance of an application and GLX has undergone many updates since I used it. Awn is pretty much dead and see no updates since 2010. Gnome 3 was the the end of Awn.