PDA

View Full Version : Workspaces displaying very bizarre behavior, please help!

jmborr
May 20th, 2013, 04:48 PM
ubuntu 12.04
session with gnome-classic & no effects

I have a new user account, it seems that by default it comes with four workspaces arranged in a 2x2 set. However, when I open the desktop switcher preferences, it shows that there is only one workspace (see attached pic). Thus, this workspace is like a superworkspace containing a 2x2 set of regular workspaces.

Now, If I use the workspace switcher to increase the number of workspaces, say to two, then I end up with two superworkspaces, each one containing a set of 2x2 regular workspaces!

Even worse, when I click in the workspace switcher to go to the second superworkspace, I end up going to one of the workspaces of the new 2x2 set but I can't go back to the original superworkspace. The workspaces in the new superworkspace are just blank, not even the workspace switcher shows up in the screen. It's like having two independent sessions.

By the way, the workspace switcher doesn't give me the option to rename the two superworkspaces (see attached pic)

This could be a problem of wrong permissions, since some of the permissions in basic directories of my PC were screwed up recently. Any help to get me started is inmensely appreciated.

dino99
May 20th, 2013, 06:00 PM
what happens if you choose the first switcher line ?

jmborr
May 20th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I'm sorry but I did not understand your question. Did you mean what would happen if click in the first superworkspace after I moved to the second superworkspace?

jmborr
May 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Errrr, can I be even dummier?
I had logged in as a gnome-classic session with effects. What I had understood as 'workspaces' were actually viewports of the same workspace.
Once I logged in a session without effects, the workspace switcher behavior went back to what I expected.
Special thanks to this thread (http://askubuntu.com/questions/134017/workspace-switching-not-working-with-12-04-and-gnome-classic-with-effects).