PDA

View Full Version : Installation issues with Intel Rapid Storage Technology

KKuff
May 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Hi,
I am trying to install Ubuntu 13.04 to dual boot with Windows 8 (not factory installed) on my Lenovo u310 laptop. The laptop has a 32GB SSD cache that uses Intel's Rapid Storage Technology in addition to a 500GB HDD. At first, the installer was unable to see the HDD, and after a little bit of research, I found that running the command
sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb fixed the issue of the HDD being seen by the installer, so I ran the installer, and installation completed. After restarting, I now get a Intel Rapid Storage Technology display that lists RAID volumes and Physical devices, along with a prompt to press CTRL +I to enter configuration utility. The RAID volumes and physical devices listed are as follows:
RAID Volumes:

ID
Name
Level
Strip
Size
Status
Bootable

FFS
RAID0(Stripe)
128KB
8.0GB
Normal
Yes

CACHE
RAID0(Cache)
128KB
21.8GB
Disabled
No

Physical Devices:

ID
Device Model
Serial #
Size
Type/Status(Vol ID)

SAMSUNG MZMPC032
S0Y2NEAC643027
29.8GB
Cache Disk(0,1)

ST500LT012-9WS14
W0V0Q2Z4
465.7GB
Non-RAID Disk

If I don't press CTRL+I, booting fails, and I am brought to a screen to select boot device, and this list contains:
1. RAID DEVICE2: ST500LT012-9WS14
2. RAID DEVICE1: INTEL FFS
3. PCI LAN: Realtek PXE B02 D00

I've tried the first two options, although I believe that the first one should be the correct option. Neither one works, I am just brought back to this menu after it attempts to boot.

I tried using Boot-Repair, but after restarting, I still get the same results as before. Here is the configuration detected by Boot-Repair before I ran it: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5680351/ . This is after I ran it: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5680386/.

I think what happened is that when I ran the dmraid -E -r command, that I erased the RAID data needed for IRST. I would appreciate any help in order to get this working. I don't mind completely reinstalling Windows and Ubuntu from scratch if I have to.

Thanks

KKuff
May 20th, 2013, 01:17 PM
So I was able to get it working without reinstalling Windows. I went into BIOS and disabled UFEI, changed the SATA controller from RAID to ACHI, and disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Then I booted from the Ubuntu live usb and used fdisk to remove the partitions that I created to install Ubuntu. I ran the dmraid -E -r command on both drives, then reinstalled Ubuntu, this time choosing the "Alongside other operating system" option instead of "Something else". Ubuntu installed successfully, and I was able to boot into Ubuntu or Windows 8. But now, Windows 8 would just go into "Auto Repair". I went into BIOS and changed all of the previous settings back, except for UFEI. Then I tried to boot Windows again, and did a system restore from the auto repair menu. The system restore was succesful and I was able to boot into both Windows and Ubuntu. After this, I went into IRST inside Windows, and reenabled acceleration using the SSD as a cache. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Also, there is some useful information here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129157&page=2 , that I wish I found before I started doing this.

riccardosl45
February 20th, 2014, 07:10 PM
So I was able to get it working without reinstalling Windows. I went into BIOS and disabled UFEI, changed the SATA controller from RAID to ACHI, and disabled Intel Rapid Storage Technology. Then I booted from the Ubuntu live usb and used fdisk to remove the partitions that I created to install Ubuntu. I ran the dmraid -E -r command on both drives, then reinstalled Ubuntu, this time choosing the "Alongside other operating system" option instead of "Something else". Ubuntu installed successfully, and I was able to boot into Ubuntu or Windows 8. But now, Windows 8 would just go into "Auto Repair". I went into BIOS and changed all of the previous settings back, except for UFEI. Then I tried to boot Windows again, and did a system restore from the auto repair menu. The system restore was succesful and I was able to boot into both Windows and Ubuntu. After this, I went into IRST inside Windows, and reenabled acceleration using the SSD as a cache. Everything seems to be working fine now.

Also, there is some useful information here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2129157&page=2 , that I wish I found before I started doing this.

is your Ubunutu installation running on a separate partition with ext4?