PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Launching applications from the main menu

rpaskudniak
May 19th, 2013, 05:17 AM
Greetings.

It's been a loooong time since I dabbled into Ubuntu - I'm embarrassed to say Greetings, Family again. But here I am with a minor conundrum.

I have my quibbles with the "Ubuntu" Desktop, generally preferring the Classic Gnome desktop but I decided to finally bite the bullet and start using it. It has a nice array of application-launching buttons on the left, including the second form the tip, labeled "Main Menu". When I choose that item I get the attached image (thought it is too smart; it remembers the last selected item).

This is a menu editor. That's all fine and well when I want to edit the menu but there comes a time in the life of every menu when someone - mainly me - would like to actually launch some of the applications I took the trouble to stick in here, not to mention those that came with by default.

I think this is the main menu I would normally use in the Classic Gnome Desktop but I want to use it under Ubuntu Desktop as well.

I feel I'm missing something right under my nose but I just don't see it. (Well, your mouth is right under your nose; do you see it? :) )

What am I missing?

Thanks much!

claracc
May 20th, 2013, 07:18 AM
I think you will have to reaqd some documentation about new features in kubuntu 13.04.

These are two informative links:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/see-whats-new-in-kubuntu-1304-raring.html

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/02/how-to-enable-new-kde-410-appmenu-title.html

SantaFe
May 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM
While your thread title shows this: [kubuntu] Launching applications from the main menu, I'm assuming you meant Ubuntu. ;)

I did find this link: http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/06/bring-ubuntus-classic-menu-to-unity/

Hopefully it has something to help you. ;)

Noticed it mentioned 12.04 & 11.04, so am not sure if it'll work in 13.04 (if that's the version you are using.). ;)

rpaskudniak
June 2nd, 2013, 04:39 AM
SantaFe,

I just downloaded it and it's GREAT to have my menu back. It seems to have everything I configured many months ago. Thanks extremely!!

Er... Without going back to the Gnome classic desktop, how do I configure and mainly edit this menu? Is it buried among the other system settings in the menus and submenus? Because if it's not in there, I will want to edit the menu to *put* it in there.
-- Rasputin

Two minor off-topic notes:
Re. Your comment on Ubuntu/Kubuntu
While still on 11.04 I wanted to try Kubuntu for the KDE desktop. I decided it's too much hassle to configure every blessed desktop completely when I want them to share the overwhelming majority of setups. The only thing I really liked about KDE was that each desktop could have a different background. I'm just afraid to try to back it out so I'm stuck with Kubuntu. :?

Re. xfce:
Yet another desktop choice? I just checked it out in Synaptic. For a lightweight environment, it sure seems to have a lot of baggage! I'll take a pass on it for now but thanks for raising my awareness of it. :-k

SantaFe
June 2nd, 2013, 03:43 PM
Not too sure, wonder if Alacarte would be able to edit the menus? I do know it works in GNOME as well as Xfce.

And glad it worked for you. I haven't used GNOME/Ubuntu since 11.04, so my GNOME knowledge is a tad rusty! :D