PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] How to create a permanently saved session in 12.04?

dphurst
May 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM
I would like to create a permanently saved session for my desktop upon login. I'm using the gnome classic fallback without effects in 12.04. The auto-save-session option works just fine after being enabled using the dconf editor, but if I don't clean up the desktop back to what I'd like to have, then the next login isn't presenting what I'd like. I really only care about having the gnome terminals get placed on each desktop and sized appropriately. In Ubuntu 10.04 there was an option for a single save-session to be remembered forever. Is there a way to make this happen?

I'd actually be interested in exploring this option in Gnome 3, Unity, and Gnome Classic. I think my way of working benefits from having multiple desktops to have apps specially placed as needed. But, since they never play nice and restart with the save-session functionality anyway, I've just grown fond of at least getting the terminals set where I prefer. I can understand that since the apps don't play well with auto-save-session that the devs would remove the option for now or forever. It's a pain to deal with something as a developer that half works and depends on stuff you can't control. However, I'd just like to learn how to work the gnome controls enough to get terminals to start up where I'd like and how I'd like in any of the desktop enviroments, starting with Gnome Classic first.

Thanks for your time and thoughts!
Dow

ranger1021994
May 18th, 2013, 03:54 PM
You want ubuntu to reset all preferences every time you boot ?
Is that what you want ?

ibjsb4
May 18th, 2013, 03:57 PM
An option would be to add your programs to autostart.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142:u-ocqbntw_o&q=autostart+programs+software+12.04&sa=Search&cof=FORID:9