PDA

View Full Version : Backwards Compatibility

ERRRIMMAD
May 16th, 2013, 08:12 PM
This is a bit off topic so I hope that admin does not go all militaristic on me and force me back in line but I don't know where else, or who else to ask this.

So in regards to Linux, it was developed by Linus around 1991 if I'm correct, and it has changed a great deal over the years, eventually leading to Ubuntu which is my OS of choice.

But I'm trying to wrap my head around backwards compatibility with Linux.

Windows 98se was backwards compatible with Dos and earlier versions of windows, eventually transitioned to XP and eventually Dos box was introduced to give a certain amount of compatibility to newer systems still attempting to run the old software.

Apple has sheepshaver for people attempting to run classic mac.

How about Linux, is there an app to help me run 1992 apps on a modern Linux desktop? Maybe a distro that deals with outdated Linux apps? Anything like this?

I ask out of curiosity, I do not need to run these old apps, I just want to because I can and for the experience, not because it makes sense.

mr_mop
May 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM
People may correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is a lot of the older linux apps would be distributed as source. The source would then be built on the system it was to be run on and away you went.
So to answer your question, a lot of the older apps are probably still compatible and other will require a few patches to make them work.

For example, a favourite of mine that still can be made to work is xv

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xv_%28software%29

|{urse
May 16th, 2013, 09:00 PM
That is correct, compile them from source. You may find yourself in a dependency nightmare with some programs. If you do, post your errors on a new thread.

Zill
May 16th, 2013, 09:06 PM
ERRRIMMAD: Linus Torvalds did not develop the Linux operating system (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux)! He developed the kernel which, while essential to an OS, is not sufficient on its own. Linux operating systems should correctly be termed GNU/Linux operating systems as these consist of the Linux kernel and various applications from Richard Stallman's GNU Project (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Project) needed to make a useful OS.

Much of the original GNU software is still in use today, such as the Bash shell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash_%28Unix_shell%29). Obviously, many GNU applications have been improved and enhanced over the years to make them more secure or to perform better.

grahammechanical
May 16th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Compare the Microsoft approach to that of Apple. Microsoft tried to make each new version of its OS compatible with the large number of applications that were already in use and the large range of hardware already out there . The result? An OS with masses of code and a corporation unable to break free from the past. Until recently that is. Want the latest Windows OS? Then buy a new Windows machine.

Apple, on the other hand did not worry about backwards compatibility with older software or hardware. New Apple = new hardware and new software = new profits.

Open Source software development is not driven by desire for profit. Non-the-less, there comes a time when development has moved on as development needs to keep up with hardware innovation. The Linux code base is cleaned up and code no longer used because the hardware is no longer used is removed.

In the same way, Linux distributions grow and die. People no longer maintain the distribution. And developers are free to use their time and skills in projects that interest them.

And yes, there are 2 sections of this forum that are more suitable for this topic than a help section.

Regards.

ERRRIMMAD
May 17th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Ahhh, I see, thank you for clearing that up.
:D

@Zill, yeah, that makes sense. ;)

I understand if this thread gets moved to the appropriate location or deleted, it was not my intention to post this in the wrong location, I just didn't know where else to put it. ;)

oldos2er
May 17th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Moved to Ubuntu, Linux, and OS Chat.