PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Secure Boot & LUKS

highbomber
May 16th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Greetings,

I am having difficulty setting up SecureBoot installation. I believe my laptop is capable, because when SecureBoot is enabled I am still able to boot onto the Ubuntu 13.04 Live disk.

I have a special setup, however. Windows is not installed, but the drive is using a GPT partition table. UEFI is working. My partitions are:

/dev/sda1: FAT32 EFI 512MB
/dev/sda2: ext2 BOOT 512MB
/dev/sda2: LUKS LUKS remaining ~465GB

Inside LUKS is an LVM:
SWAP: 16GB
/dev/mapper/ubuntu-root: root btrfs remaining ~450GB

Sub volumes include @ (root) and @home.

Firstly, unsigned kernels boot. Currently I am running 3.9.0-1-generic (x86_64). When SecureBoot is disabled, the signed kernels still do not boot. Signed kernels are unaware of my LUKS partition, do not engage in its decryption, yet I receive an error that "/dev/mapper/ubuntu-root" is unavailable. Furthermore, if I try to update initramfs:

update-initramfs -u -k all
It ignores the signed kernel.

I hope that if I can update initramfs and the signed kernel than I will be able to boot using the signed kernel (at least with SecureBoot disabled).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

highbomber
May 24th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Bump.

I will also point out: signed kernels work. When booting with a signed kernel my password for the LUKS partition is not requested.

darekch
May 24th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Can you give more information how you SecureBoot works? You mix several states signed and unsinged kernels with secureBoot enabled/disabled, I'm little confused in that.

May I point out that if update-initrams -u -k all doesn't see you signed kernels then signed kernel will not see your luks partition and it won't prompt for password and decrypt. This is how it is in normal configuration without secure boot, guess it can be similar with secure boot.