PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can not login even with correct password

chillfill
May 16th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Hi, I am using UBUNTU 12.04.
I have been looking around and trying different solutions for the problem but none of them seem to work so please help me.
I was configuring APACHE ANT environment variables so i opened ~/.profile and wrote down following lines of code

JAVA_HOME="BLA/BLA/BLA"
ANT_HOME= "/BLA/BLA/BLA"
PATH ="/BLA/BLA/BLA"

to confirm that it had installed i executed the command

ant -version
there was an error, according to some forums the system had to be restarted.
After system restart, when i entered correct password a black screen showed for few seconds and then Login screen was showed again.
If I log-in as root user I can perform all the tasks but I have no access to that account for which I modified the ~/.profile .
from root user when I execute this command

ant -version
it shows correct version which means that installation is correct.

I have tried deleting and creating new user from root but it does not work.
I have tried to run several commands in the recovery console which i get by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 as proposed in different question on the forum but most of them do not run and error is shown that
SU or
SUDO command is not available...

pleases tell how can I solve this issue..?
if you know any way that i can use to revert back to original ~/.profile file or undo the changes i made please do tell. thanks

dino99
May 16th, 2013, 01:56 PM
http://askubuntu.com/questions/55488/install-upgrade-to-apache-ant-1-8-2

the easiest way is to create a new user, so creating a new .profile
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/user-management.html

midnightramen
May 17th, 2013, 05:00 AM
one thing to keep in mind is that 'su' and 'sudo' are lowercase commands, not uppercase. To change users, I have usually used 'sudo su - <username>, although I have not tried it as root. I usually login as a more restricted user, and only use 'sudo' when necessary.

There is no automatic backup of the .profile file, although you may be able to retrieve the default one at /etc/skel/.profile.