PDA

View Full Version : Nothing but Wallpaper

OldTimeTech
May 15th, 2013, 08:15 PM
Upgraded 12.10 to 13.04 it was smooth sailing, no problems.

Logged on to nothing but wallpaper, no unity side panel, no upper panel. Checked under displays, it shows it's a laptop display which it is not, it should show a Samsung SyncMaster 910T.

I can get into system settings, but am not offered a terminal, nor can I change any of the system settings.

I'm about to wipe this drive and go back to 12.10, if I can save my pictures, music and such.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

papibe
May 15th, 2013, 08:26 PM
Hi OldTimeTech.

Have you tried this (http://askubuntu.com/questions/17381/unity-doesnt-load-no-launcher-no-dash-appears)?

Regards.

OldTimeTech
May 15th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks papibe, I hadn't even seen that website.

Printed it out, now will try it, keeping my fingers crossed.

OldTimeTech
May 15th, 2013, 10:35 PM
papibe....

I tried all of there possible solutions and none of them worked. Might there be something else?

papibe
May 15th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Sorry to hear that :(

Do you have multiple monitors?

Did you have installed a proprietary graphic driver before the upgrade (Nvidia or AMD)?

Regards.

OldTimeTech
May 16th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Okay, I admit it, I got in a hurry when reading yesterday and missed the most important answer.

So, this morning I re-read what I had printed out from Ask Ubuntu.

I had already loaded the compizconfig-settings-manager, but what I failed to do was "export DISPLAY:0 then ccsm. I did that this morning, checked the unity plug-in, refused to let it remove the gnome key and I got my desktop back with everything now easy to get too.

I want to thank you papibe, it was a good place to send me and the information was awesome, just need not to be so frustrated and need to read everything.

Sincerely,
OldTimeTech

papibe
May 16th, 2013, 05:23 PM
:) Glad I could help.

When you have the chance, please mark the thread as solved (here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads)'s how).

Regards.