PDA

View Full Version : Core Duo Laptop Owners Speak to me of Heat

kadymae
July 13th, 2006, 12:16 AM
It is with great sorrow that I say that my wicked keen Powerbook Pismo,"Gil Estel", is dying. The screen is bedimmed and the DVD drive died. (And it's $150 to get a used drive from a reputable dealer and somewhere in the $200+ range to get the screen fixed.)

And then I discovered that my install of Ubuntu 6.06 is corrupt.

After a lot of soul searching, I decided to buy a new laptop and the two candidates I like best have core-duo processors.

How hot do they get?

Seriously, I've been spoiled by my g3/500. The keyboard right over the processor never gets substantially hotter than the rest of machine, even after hours of typing.

Hell, I can even sit it on my lap for extended periods of time without discomfort.

How often does the fan spin up? Now, I realize this will vary somewhat by laptop brand/design, but does it get hot enough that the fan comes on a lot?

Thanks.

GuitarHero
July 13th, 2006, 01:18 AM
What two laptops are you looking at(just interested, don't own a core duo)

SilentGreg
July 13th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I have a MacBook and it gets a little warm under normal use but nothing out of the ordinary. When I start using the machine it gets a little hotter but it is bareable. When I have the laptop on a desk, it's fine. When I have it on my lap I notice the heat.

The keyboard does not get hot at all. There is no whine, no moo and there is no discoloration on my MacBook. It's an awesome machine.

EDIT: I have yet to hear the fan, at all. I have owned the machine for several weeks and I have yet to hear the fan. :)

Week 22...

Hope this helps.

Greg

GuitarHero
July 13th, 2006, 01:33 AM
Greg do you use ubuntu on your macbook? Seems like a waste to shell out big bucks for a mac and not use OSX. The apple appeal has always been the OS mainly. Sure the macbooks look nice, but they are pricey.

ubuntu-geek
July 13th, 2006, 01:38 AM
My work just gave me a new Macbook Pro. It gets a little warm when running alot of applications but not so hot that its not usable. I get the best of all worlds depending on what application I need. Ubuntu, OSx and Windows.. Bootcamp rocks!

SilentGreg
July 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Greg do you use ubuntu on your macbook? Seems like a waste to shell out big bucks for a mac and not use OSX. The apple appeal has always been the OS mainly. Sure the macbooks look nice, but they are pricey.

No, I use strictly OS X. As per my signature.

Greg

briancurtin
July 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM
OT: i dont own a core duo, but "Heat" is a great movie. i wasnt sure why you capitalized the word 'heat' in your thread title, but it jumped out to me because of the movie.

Stormy Eyes
July 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM
My MacBook uses a 1.83GHz Core Duo, and while it gets pretty toasty I've never had to worry about getting burninated while using it. I don't think I've ever heard the fan kick in, but I could be wrong; my AC is pretty damned loud.

kadymae
July 13th, 2006, 03:59 AM
What two laptops are you looking at(just interested, don't own a core duo)

I was thinking of either the System76 Gazelle Performance or MacBook.

On the one hand, I'd like the support the little guy and buy from System76, but on the other hand, I get an education discount from Apple.

I also don't have to resize/repartition to put Ubuntu on the System76.

Stormy Eyes
July 13th, 2006, 04:04 AM
I can get 4.5 hours on battery with the MacBook with WiFi turned off, and about 3.75 hours with WiFi turned on. I don't think any of the System76 machines give more than 2.5 hours of battery life. Screw that.

kadymae
July 13th, 2006, 04:12 AM
When I have the laptop on a desk, it's fine. When I have it on my lap I notice the heat.

Hmmm .... here's the thing, this machine will almost never be used while on desktop. It's going to be used on my lap, while I'm sitting on chaise in my loft because my home office is just too hot in summer afternoons.

professor_chaos
July 13th, 2006, 04:36 AM
My macbook 2ghz core duo gets a bit warm in the top left bottom side (power adapter side), but its toleable on bare skin. Fans either have never come on in three weeks of use, or at least I haven't ever heard them.

GuitarHero
July 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM
I'd support system 76

Stormy Eyes
July 13th, 2006, 01:15 PM
I'd support system 76

I considered it, but System76 isn't good enough.

Reb
July 13th, 2006, 04:29 PM
My macbook is ultra-quiet but gets hot in the same place - top left bottom. It's bearable, and I rarely use it on my lap.

tseliot
July 13th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I considered it, but System76 isn't good enough.

Why? I'm asking because I don't know it.

Stormy Eyes
July 13th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Why? I'm asking because I don't know it.

See my comment about battery life. My MacBook gives at least 3:45 on battery, and 4:30 with wifi turned off. A System76 laptop, according to their site, doesn't seem to give more than 2:30. Less than 3 hours, IMO, is unacceptable.

Dragonbite
July 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Is that with the default 6-cell battery or the optional (look under the /etc Additional Batteries (http://system76.com/product_info.php/cPath/53/products_id/174) section) 8-cell?

professor_chaos
July 13th, 2006, 08:09 PM
that System76 serval series looks nice. You get quite a bit with it but at cost of almost 8 pounds. That was just to heavy for me. And like stormy, 3 hours of battery time is getting close to unacceptable for me anyways.