PDA

View Full Version : Beginner introduction to PyGTK and Quickly

digitalrealm
May 15th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Hi

First of all thanks very much to Jono Bacon for the amazing video introducing the Quickly dev envroment. I for the video extremely interesting and would hope he is considering making more dev videos.

My question is this:

The application that Quickly outputs is ovally quite complex as dose not lend its self to people that are new to Python and pyGTK like myself.
I have been learning Python on and off for about two years but since discovering CodeAcadamy (http://www.codecademy.com) my understanding of Python is going from strength to strength. But before I started with Python I was already familiar with programming concepts ie variables, arrays, fanctions and some OOP.

How would someone go about creating a basic pyGTK app with out using Quickly?
Then perhaps this can be including in the templates with Quickly not as a production template but as a learning aid for the tools i.e. Quickly, Python, pyGTK. I would also teach how the dev cycle works on ubuntu.

So can someone make a basic application with PDF documentation intended to explain pyGTK for someone who is completely new to pyGTK and/or Python. If using Quickly to create this could the document be copied in to a doc folder when the project is created. If I had more experience I would gladly do this myself but I want to contribute to the community if only ideas for now.

Thanks

/digitalrealm

digitalrealm
May 19th, 2013, 02:27 AM
If no one is in favor of a basic python template. What about an in depth description of the ubuntu-application template to help people like myself with Python experience but never having used it for such a complex project.

/digitalrealm

MG&TL
May 19th, 2013, 01:09 PM
I cannot really see how you are supposed to use quickly if you're a beginner, or even if you're just mildly obsessive about how your code looks. It's a nightmare.
What I ended up doing was just learning how to use pygtk and later pygobject (the new way of accessing GTK+ from python) properly, which work absolutely fine on their own. There's an excellent guide here: http://python-gtk-3-tutorial.readthedocs.org/en/latest/