PDA

View Full Version : A warm hello

SolarAlucard
May 15th, 2013, 05:46 AM
Hello everyone ^_^

I am a bored engineering student and an expirienced Windows user, and a die-hard fan of Win XP, however i have decided that i will switch to Ubuntu 12.04 for a few reasons:

1) It just looks nicer (everybody loves eye-candy amirite?)
2) U can do pretty much anything and everything
3) much more secure than Windows
4) from what i've seen, a great and dummy-friendly community (for ppl like myself) willing to give a hand even with the most basic stuff (like navigating in the terminal pop up window with TAB)
5) quite easy to use
6) quite fast
7) it can do anything that windows can, if not better (im looking at u defrag!)
8) once u do something right in the terminal, u feel like a god (YAAY IM HACKING!!)
9) BRILLIANT hardware support, i am just amazed by this and i absolutely love it
10) easy updating
11) once u learn it, u can use any UNIX-like system with ease and feel like at home
12) last but not least, its free, and who doesnt like free stuff :)

So far, i am kind of intrigued when i cant do something (for example, forcing wine to behave as 32 bit program in order to play Neverwinter) how can i do it, and have fun in the process and possibly learn something new (instead of just leting a program do it)

Thats pretty much it from me, i like the OS and i like the community and im changing my religious views on Facebook to Zealot of Linux, sorry for the long post x)

QIII
May 15th, 2013, 06:17 AM
And a warm welcome to you!

Sit down for a bit and don't get over-excited by the hype. ;)

There are a lot of people out there who say everything is peachy, when it isn't any peachier than Windows. It's different and can be as hard to learn as a foreign language. It's not a drop-in replacement for Windows.

A few things:

5) quite easy to use
After a pretty steep learing curve.

7) it can do anything that windows can, if not better (im looking at u defrag!)
Grrr! This one really gripes me. I wish people would quit saying this.

8) once u do something right in the terminal, u feel like a god (YAAY IM HACKING!!)
Meh. It's just another way to do stuff.

9) BRILLIANT hardware support, i am just amazed by this and i absolutely love it
You are probably in for a disappointment... This has a lot to do with whether the OEMs of your hardware support Linux. There are a lot of things already addressed in the kernel, but there are a lot of things that arent.

I'm not trying to discourage you! I want to encourage you. But you should be aware of reality and take this as something that will be a bit frustrating at times. But it certainly is loads of fun. (For me it was like a homecoming -- reminded me of my old Unix days.)

You will like it if you like new things. Are you adventurous? Good then!

You will have a lot of fun if you will do just one thing: Remember that Linux is not Windows and Windows is not Linux. Things work differently. If you can accept that one thing, you'll be having a party.

Again, welcome! This community is great and I think you will find everyone (well, most everyone) courteous and glad to help.

Best wishes!