PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] grub rescue partition

p.wolf
May 12th, 2013, 02:46 AM
Basically, I messed up. I had various problems and decided to clean up the system, and ended up deleting the partition with Ubuntu (12.04 I think). before I had a dual boot with windows 7 and Ubuntu, but now I just want to remove all unnecessary partitions and the Ubuntu operating system and fresh install windows 7. I tried various things i read online and tried booting from a disc to re-install windows 7, but none of it worked. I'm really stuck and I want this machine to last me a couple of months until the next gen of Intel chips are out, at which point I will be gifting this laptop to my mother, who only use windows. I really need this machine asap as the laptop i am currently using is a loan that I am returning by Monday. Please save my ass!

fantab
May 12th, 2013, 04:30 AM
If you have a Ubuntu install disk you can use it to boot, 'Try Ubuntu', run Gparted from the desktop and delete all 'unnecessary' partitions. Or if you don't have Ubuntu Live, you can use Gparted LiveDVD/USB (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php).

Now use your Windows install disk to reinstall and repartition accordingly.