PDA

View Full Version : Debian and Ubuntu

SigmaX
July 12th, 2006, 09:30 PM
I love Debian. Ubuntu to me is Debian plus. Thus I love Ubuntu. So I use Ubuntu on my desktop and Debian on my server. But Ubuntu makes a good server too, and now has a whole special server branch. So I tell myself: Why use Debian? Ubuntu rocks for all!

My question, then, is what happens if everybody else says that? What happens to father Debian if Ubuntu takes their user base? What happens to Ubuntu if Debian becomes old, decrepid grandfather?

SigmaX

Brunellus
July 12th, 2006, 09:33 PM
there are multiple threads about this already. Let it die.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Would you kindly point me to where there is a thread regerding using Debian over ubuntu as a server?

Anywayz, the answer is obvious if you are running a server or have the Ubuntu team started backprorting security three levels yet?

Actually, if you want a server OS, neither Debian nor Ubuntu will really do the job.

CentOS or one of the BSD servers, or maybe, if you can handle everything, Slackware.

croak77
July 12th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Would you kindly point me to where there is a thread regerding using Debian over ubuntu as a server?

Anywayz, the answer is obvious if you are running a server or have the Ubuntu team started backprorting security three levels yet?

Actually, if you want a server OS, neither Debian nor Ubuntu will really do the job.

CentOS or one of the BSD servers, or maybe, if you can handle everything, Slackware.

The OP didn't ask for a comparison of Ubuntu vs Debain as a server he asked "What happens to father Debian if Ubuntu takes their user base? What happens to Ubuntu if Debian becomes old, decrepid grandfather?" which has been talked about ad nauseum.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 11:38 PM
The OP didn't ask for a comparison of Ubuntu vs Debain as a server he asked "What happens to father Debian if Ubuntu takes their user base? What happens to Ubuntu if Debian becomes old, decrepid grandfather?" which has been talked about ad nauseum.

Oh, true, without debian, Ubuntu would be without packages and die, without Ubuntu, Debian would not even notice the loss as the Ubuntu devs are idiots who won't share their work in a usable state.

Johnsie
July 13th, 2006, 02:04 AM

Be nice... They guy has a good point and I actually find it quite interesting even if there have been similar discussions on other threads.

I'm not sure that most debian users will start using Ubuntu... If they did then and Debian died then Ubuntu would probably just become the Debian of the future. There would be no Debian for Ubuntu to be derived from so the Ubuntu people would have to make more of their own stuff.

briancurtin
July 13th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Be nice... They guy has a good point and I actually find it quite interesting even if there have been similar discussions on other threads.
then read the other threads and/or post in them.

this is what ive been talking about. everyone needs to start their own topic...they cant just build onto what has been started.

aysiu
July 13th, 2006, 03:35 AM
We could add Debian v. Ubuntu to the list of potential megathreads (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=174298)...

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 03:50 AM

As a thread moves on, other questions may come up and answers to them may be given, in this case, that is what happened.

Anyway, welcom to the internet.

croak77
July 13th, 2006, 04:23 AM
As a thread moves on, other questions may come up and answers to them may be given, in this case, that is what happened.

Anyway, welcom to the internet.

What thread are you talking about? This thread was about the affects of Ubuntu on Debian. All I'm saying is take the time to do a search before starting a new thread.

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 04:25 AM
What thread are you talking about? This thread was about the affects of Ubuntu on Debian. All I'm saying is take the time to do a search before starting a new thread.

LOL, after about 20 replies it's a tad late for that response, go back to sleep, sweet dreams. :)

croak77
July 13th, 2006, 04:33 AM
What are you talking about?

briancurtin
July 13th, 2006, 04:41 AM
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/13/0047210

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 05:01 AM
http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/13/0047210

I can't do much more than to smugly smile since they didn't give money to OpenSSH when the developers where looking for day to day eating.

I don't see any great new development as a replacemetn, i sure hope they don't intend to keep OpenSSH now.

SigmaX
July 13th, 2006, 02:21 PM

I did indeed mean to imply the assumption that Ubuntu would take Debian's user base via the area of server.

Now, forgive me for indulging in distro wars, but why do you not recommend Debian/Ubuntu as server platforms? I like FreeBSD myself, but on the small scale use I engage in it only wastes time when I'm more efficient on a Debian system. I haven't a practical reason to use FreeBSD -- other then I'd like to.

Perhaps I shoulda just let the thread die, but... thoughts?

SigmaX

bluenova
July 13th, 2006, 02:35 PM
What is all this off-topicness in this thread?? Can a mod delete all these posts (including this one) and leave the posts about the topic:

What happens to father Debian if Ubuntu takes their user base? What happens to Ubuntu if Debian becomes old, decrepid grandfather?

ubuntu_demon
July 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Here's an interesting related thread about the relationship between debian and ubuntu :

Debian and ubuntu, again
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=213300

I posted some relevant links regarding that thread on my blog right here :
http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2006/07/12/debian-and-ubuntu/

tseliot
July 13th, 2006, 05:29 PM
What about OpenBSD?

SigmaX
July 14th, 2006, 12:27 AM
What about OpenBSD?

Would be included in "one of the BSD servers" I presume.

SigmaX