PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to change speakers on laptop?

xoomer.ap
May 11th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Hi guys!
Are there ways to change factory speakers for more advanced like Bang&Olufsen system?

tgalati4
May 11th, 2013, 05:04 PM
As a designer and installer of pro audio systems, I would say yes and no. Laptop speakers have shielded magnets which means they have smaller total driving flux per given volume. You need large flux magnets to be able to handle high power, say 100 watts RMS. Laptop speakers are typically 1 or 2 watts at most. You also need high power electronics, which means large heatsinks, MOSFETs, and capacitors. On a laptop, your soundchip is lucky to put out 1 watt peak (1/2 watt RMS) with a surface-mount chip.

So, although you could put better-quality speakers in a laptop, what circuitry are you going to use to power them? Underpowered speakers sound like crap.

The limited volume inside a laptop means there is no room for a waveguide to improve low frequency response--like a Bose Wave radio.

You can search the web for a blog of someone who has tried to improve the sound of a laptop, but I doubt you will find many success stories. You are limited by several factors.

I would invest in a headphone amplifier and a decent set of headphones. Lots of reviews out there: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/headphone-amplifiers

I have an earlier version (http://www.head-fi.org/products/aphex-454-headpod-professional-high-output-headphone-amplifier) of one of these: http://www.aphex.com/aphex-products/headpod-4-2/ and several high-end headphones by Stax, Sony, Shure, Koss and others.

xoomer.ap
May 11th, 2013, 06:14 PM
Thanks for answer.
Now I do not want more powerful speaker (in RMS meaning), just want to improve sound quality without operate with external speakers.
Actually I don't familiar with headphone amplifiers: so in other words that devices turning headphones into table speakers?

tgalati4
May 12th, 2013, 01:07 AM
If B&O designed a laptop, it would have decent sound and cost $5,000. You can try to adjust the sound with equilization, but you are limited by the tiny size of the speakers and lack of power in the sound circuitry. There is no easy way to fix both of those factors.

A headphone amplifier simply boosts the small signal from the headphone jack of the computer (with a cable) so that you can use better-quality, over-the-ear headphones. That will give you a better audio experience than using the headphone jack alone with crappy earbuds.

The other way to improve the sound experience is to put the laptop on top of your head when you play music. Your brain will think the music is coming from the front--called the "Voice of God" effect since the brain can't distinguish sound overhead or sound coming from the front. The shorter distance to your ears means you can drive the speakers at a lower level which will reduce distortion.

But you look silly wearing a laptop as a hat. The cool kids use headphone amplifiers. (Zee-est.)