PDA

View Full Version : Cannot chmod on new HDD installed

e24ohm
May 11th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Folks:
Hi Community:

I recently installed a new HDD and partitioned the drive with one primary partition. I then used the mkfs.ext4 to format it. Currently Ubuntu is Automounting the drive on boot; however, late last night I was not able to ‘sudo chmod +x’ to a BASH script I made on the drive. I am able to read and write files on the drive. The command functioned as if it worked; however, when inspecting the file, the attributes were not changed.

This is the output of the file system from ‘fdisk –l’:

//---

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdc: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
81 heads, 63 sectors/track, 382818 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0b493b78

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdc1 2048 1953525167 976761560 83 Linux
//---

I am not sure if this means anything, but this drive was originally partitioned and formatted as NTFS on windows box; however, once I installed the drive into my Ubuntu box – I ran ‘sudo fdisk /dev/sdc’ and ‘mkfs.ext4’ for the correct drive. And, like I said – I am able to read/write to the drive, just cannot ‘sudo’ chmod.

I’m at a lost, so I’m looking for suggestions and to brainstorm the issue.

Thanks.
E

prodigy_
May 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM
just cannot ‘sudo’ chmod.

I’m at a lost, so I’m looking for suggestions and to brainstorm the issue.
Well, my suggestion is that you specify what exactly you tried to chmod and post the output you got.

e24ohm
May 11th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Well, my suggestion is that you specify what exactly you tried to chmod and post the output you got.

A BASH file as I pointed out, and the the syntex I used included the SUDO command. In addition, there is no output - it appears as if it worked, and throws no errors. In addition, despite the user and group membership, it should not matter due to the fact that I used “sudo”. In addition, I wanted to give execute to all “groups” “user” and “other”, so the +x should work. Also, I did a “
chmod +r”, which did not work as well. And, I tried other files, which did not work as well.

Due to the latter, I am suspecting it is something with the file format or partition, yet what is confusing me – is the fact that I can r/w since I am able to copy and make new files and directories.

One thing I did notice – the drive does not have an entry in my ‘fstab’ location, so Ubuntu is automounting the disk somehow. Where does Ubuntu Automount HDD/Disks at?

prodigy_
May 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
there is no output - it appears as if it worked, and throws no errors.
What's the output of
cat /proc/mounts command? I guess the partition is mounted with noexec option (explicit or implied).

e24ohm
May 11th, 2013, 07:23 PM
What's the output of
cat /proc/mounts command? I guess the partition is mounted with noexec option (explicit or implied).

thanks for the help Prodigy... this is driving me crazy...since I can read/write files to the drive.

cat /proc/mounts

/dev/sdc1 /media/DATA fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,defa ult_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0

I'm not sure what this is telling me, so I hope it has some details.

I configured this drive like I did my other drives.

sudo fdisk /dev/sdc
and did the standard partition wizard, via fdisk... and just created a primary partition with the defaults. only thing I can think of, is that it did not blow all the partition information off from the windows partition, but i'm not sure if that is possible...only brainstorming.

Thanks.

e24ohm
May 11th, 2013, 10:49 PM
I became quite annoyed at this issue, and decided to partition and format the drive one more time. This time I supplied a name when I formatted the drive, since I noticed it still was using the name given to the hdd when it was installed in the windows server.

This is odd, but that is the only step different I performed this time, and it works. It now allows files and directories to have permissions changed (example: +x or +r or +w). I am not sure if permission types were broken; however, as my earlier posts show – it had the correct partition format.

Odd, but I am marking this thread closed.