PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason to use Ubuntu...

beniwtv
July 12th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Hi all.

Here's another reason to use Ubuntu, not Win***s.

I just found a bug in IE. :mrgreen:

1. Create a directory called 'Notepad' on the desktop. (Could be an executable called Notepad.exe, too).

2. Fire up IE, and navigate to your favorite web page (any webpage).

3. Right-click and select 'View source'. IE will open the folder (or the executable). :mrgreen:

It's soooo funny! LOL! 8)
Just imagine how somebody could explode this... wuhahahahaahah (evil laugh)

LOL

Brunellus
July 12th, 2006, 08:50 PM
wow. Just....wow.

araz
July 12th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Thats why I love microsucks (LOL)

aysiu
July 12th, 2006, 08:52 PM
That's rather a weird exploit. Most IE users I know don't really look at HTML source. And someone would have to get an executable on your desktop called notepad.exe.

But I did try out your bug, and it "works."

How did you find it out?

croak77
July 12th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Ubuntu has bugs too.

beniwtv
July 12th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I just found that out because I use a program called Notepad2 (when I'm in windows some day), for HTML editing when I'm boring.

So I put that on the Desktop, and just that... I found out the bug. :mrgreen:

aysiu
July 12th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Ubuntu has bugs too.
Let's not forget the famous plain-text storage of the Breezy administrator password. (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=143334)

Brunellus
July 12th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Ubuntu has bugs too.
yes.

But few are as blatant as this...or as potentially hazardous, given the fact that Windows has very poor privelege/permission controls....

Jasper Houtman
July 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Ubuntu has bugs too.

Of course it does, there's no such thing as bug free software.

aysiu
July 12th, 2006, 08:58 PM
yes.

But few are as blatant as this...or as potentially hazardous, given the fact that Windows has very poor privelege/permission controls....
The plain text password one was far more potentially hazardous, but it did get patched quite quickly.

Derek Djons
July 12th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I would name your thread 'a funny bug in MS Windows' instead of the current thread title.

mech7
July 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yes because we all now everybody puts notepad on his desktop and notepad will format your drive without giving any warning.. cause well you know it's evil like that :rolleyes:

yes.

aysiu
July 12th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Yes because we all now everybody puts notepad on his desktop and notepad will format your drive without giving any warning.. cause well you know it's evil like that :rolleyes:
It doesn't have to be notepad. It can be any executable that's renamed as notepad.exe.

Still, the likelihood that something could put a notepad.exe on your desktop without you thinking it strange and then you subsequently viewing HTML source in your browser is pretty low.

picpak
July 12th, 2006, 09:08 PM
This is better than opening up Notepad on the school computers and typing "HA HA HA! I HACKED YOUR COMPUTER!"

One kid actually fell for it.

croak77
July 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Of course it does, there's no such thing as bug free software.

You are 100% right. I find this bug funny but not a reason to stop using "Win***s" though.

Brunellus
July 12th, 2006, 09:11 PM
this is true. but you can conceivably put a hidden file named notepad.exe in the Desktop directory.

the social engineering would be getting them to view source.

Potential exploit: hidden, fake notepad.exe files are placed in a school or college computer lab. "OK, now we are going to view the source of a webpage" says the instructor.

student views source.

fake notepad.exe executes--which is really a trojan, installing something even MORE ugly, then calling the real notepad.

T700
July 12th, 2006, 09:12 PM
This, like many exploits, isn't particularly dangerous. As posters have pointed out, it would take a fairly odd set of circumstances for anyone to activate it by accident (although I'm certain someone would). It does however, signal to me some underlying problem that a smart hacker will likely leverage.

Paul

beniwtv
July 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah, sure. It isn't potentially dangerous.

But still funny. :mrgreen:

Engnome
July 12th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I can imagine MS's answer "It's not a bug! it is a feature"

Like hold down shift + some ohter key (can't remember wich) and press shutdown and explorer.exe restart. my friend found it by mistake, e-mails MS and got that response.

aysiu
July 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
One thing you can rest easy about--putting a hidden file called thunderbird.exe doesn't have the .exe get invoked with a mailto: link in Internet Explorer. I'm assuming the same would be true for Outlook, if it were the default email client on someone's computer.

T700
July 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I can imagine MS's answer "It's not a bug! it is a feature"

Like hold down shift + some ohter key (can't remember wich) and press shutdown and explorer.exe restart. my friend found it by mistake, e-mails MS and got that response.

Sort of like shift-backspace in Gnome?

Paul

kigina
July 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
i got it to work with a directory but not an exe

and try to name a folder "con" on the desktop

Jucato
July 13th, 2006, 12:13 AM
And it only gets better:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+Shortcut+trick+is+legitimate+feature/2100-1002_3-6090840.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32847

scxtt
July 13th, 2006, 12:27 AM
that is just weird ...

-- when i made a 'notepad' folder, "view source" opened that desktop folder [which is totally pointless] ...
-- when i copied mplayer2.exe to the desktop and renamed it notepad.exe, IE opened mlpayer2.exe when doing "view soure" ...

actually, it could be a "feature" if you don't like using notepad to "view source" ... maybe copy wordpad or an HTML editor to the desktop as notepad.exe ...