PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unity-scope-calculator in 13.04

VaclavC
May 10th, 2013, 09:25 AM
After upgrade to 13.04 unity-scope-calculator does not work anymore. How can I put it into operation?

kcpr
May 10th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Would really like to know also. It was probably my the most useful non-default Scope.
At now it can be installed from Oneric repositries, but does not really work as I think.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :)

javajavachris
June 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM
You can try installing smart scopes (from 13.10). Here's how:

First, you want to add the repository.
Open a terminal window (Ctrl+Alt+T). Copy/Paste, or type:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-unity/experimental-certified

Then update...

sudo apt-get update

Last, upgrade the scopes already installed, and install a bunch of new ones.

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

NOTE::"for the last command above, make sure no packages are removed except for the unity-lens-shopping. If the command tries to remove more packages, it means something is broken on your system and you need to fix it so do not proceed with the installation!"

So the system doesn't overwrite the newly installed scopes if 13.04 gets new scopes, type:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-unity-experimental-certified

then

sudo apt-get upgrade

... and you're done.

When you search in Dash, you'll have a bunch of new scopes, calculator being one of them. You may have to click "filter results" on the right and activate calculator, as I did.

I know this may be a little too spelled out for some, but I remember coming to these forums the day I first installed Ubuntu, looking for first-day help on a number of topics, so, you you never know how new the person reading this may be :)

cite<http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-install-unity-smart-scopes-in.html>

VaclavC
June 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Already done it. I have package unity-scope-calculator installed but calculator does not work for me. And dash is noticeably slower and does not search in applications from time to time.

mc4man
June 20th, 2013, 10:33 AM
assuming people are using the raring scopes ppa -
https://launchpad.net/~scopes-packagers/+archive/ppa
And these raring packages (not the '100 scopes' deal

unity-lens-utilities (0.1-0~10~raring1)
unity-scope-calculator (0.1-0~12~raring1)

When they built the raring package several weeks ago I guess no one bothered to check if gcalctool still (or ever) installed a symlink in /usr/bin linking to the new calculator or adjusted the scope to use new name
This is why it doesn't work.
Easy user fix, in terminal -

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-calculator /usr/bin/gcalctool

screen from raring

Edit: turns out it is just 2 lines in /usr/lib/unity-scope-calculator/unity-scope-calculator that need to have gcalctool changed to gnome-calculator
lines 93 & 98
If those are edited then a symlink is not needed - screen 2

VaclavC
June 21st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Still it does not work.

After adding ppa from first post in ithis thread, I had unity-lens-utilities 0.1-0~10~raring1 and unity-scope-calculator 0.1daily13.05.07ubuntu.unity.experimental.certifie d-0ubuntu1. I added suggested link to gnome-calculator and it did not work. Then I forced unity-scope-calculator package to version 0.1-0~12~raring1 (the second one available with my current apt sources configuration) and it does not work as well. I tried to logout/login after each change.

mc4man
June 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM
Still it does not work.

After adding ppa from first post in ithis thread, I had unity-lens-utilities 0.1-0~10~raring1 and unity-scope-calculator 0.1daily13.05.07ubuntu.unity.experimental.certifie d-0ubuntu1. I added suggested link to gnome-calculator and it did not work. Then I forced unity-scope-calculator package to version 0.1-0~12~raring1 (the second one available with my current apt sources configuration) and it does not work as well. I tried to logout/login after each change.

You can't mix scopes built for the default unity in raring with the 100 scopes packages (smart scopes.
That experimental ppa also installed a different unity so either live with what works at this point or purge the experimental ppa & the calc scope wlll work as I described in a default 13.04 install
(obviously one would need to add the raring ppa I linked

I just dumped the 13.10 install i had so can't say if the calc scope worked there in 'smart scopes'. Maybe ask in the ubuntu+1 subforum

VaclavC
June 24th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Purged experimental PPA and edited unity-scope-calculator file ... and voila, calculator is back. Thank you all for you help!

kcpr
July 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
assuming people are using the raring scopes ppa -
https://launchpad.net/~scopes-packagers/+archive/ppa
And these raring packages (not the '100 scopes' deal

When they built the raring package several weeks ago I guess no one bothered to check if gcalctool still (or ever) installed a symlink in /usr/bin linking to the new calculator or adjusted the scope to use new name
This is why it doesn't work.
Easy user fix, in terminal -

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gnome-calculator /usr/bin/gcalctool

screen from raring

Edit: turns out it is just 2 lines in /usr/lib/unity-scope-calculator/unity-scope-calculator that need to have gcalctool changed to gnome-calculator
lines 93 & 98
If those are edited then a symlink is not needed - screen 2

That works! I didn't even need to change these two lines.
Thank You a lot! :)

mc4man
July 18th, 2013, 09:00 PM
That works! I didn't even need to change these two lines.
Thank You a lot! :)
I had contacted the ppa owner about these & he redid the scope to use gnome-calculator so all should be fine now (as you noticed

abateni
April 24th, 2014, 08:40 AM
what shoud i do for 14.04
i've added this:
https://launchpad.net/~scopes-packagers/+archive/ppa (https://launchpad.net/%7Escopes-packagers/+archive/ppa)
but couldn't find these: