PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Ubuntu 12.04 SSD+HDD - Clevo P370em

ricak
May 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM
Hello Everyone!

I have this Clevo P370EM laptop with "the paid OS" at the moment, but I am going to try it with Ubuntu.
I have a 120gb ssd and a 500gb hdd. So I'm wondering if I have to do some special steps when installing the OS. I'm asking this, because when I installed W7 in it, I installed Users folder (my documents, musics,pictures, videos) in the HDD and for SSD would just be the OS and software.. games would be in the HDD. So, to do this for W7 I had to follow several steps during the instalation in order for the SSD to be preserved.
It will be just Ubuntu. No W, no dual boot.
Other thing is the drivers. In Clevo website there are no drivers for Linux.... does anyone of you have Ubuntu in this laptop?

my specs are:
i7 3630
8gb ram
ssd 120gb samsung 840
hdd 500gb wd scorpio black
amd ati 7970m
Bigfoot killer n 1202

Do you think it will work out of the box?
Do I need to do any particular configuration? Would there be any tutorial for this procedure?

Thank you for any tip and advice everyone!

2F4U
May 10th, 2013, 04:02 PM
It is not clear to me from your post if you want to keep Windows or completely replace it. What about the existing data? Would you create a backup and put it back after the installation? In general, a two-disk setup won't be performed automatically. You need to think about partitioning before attempting to install, much like you did with Windows.

ricak
May 10th, 2013, 04:14 PM
It is not clear to me from your post if you want to keep Windows or completely replace it. What about the existing data? Would you create a backup and put it back after the installation? In general, a two-disk setup won't be performed automatically. You need to think about partitioning before attempting to install, much like you did with Windows.

It will be just Ubuntu. No W, no dual boot.
"W" would stand for windows ;)

so No windows! No dual boot! Just Ubuntu!
I will delete windows completely... my documents and files that I want to keep I'll back them up in a pen or portable hdd

oldfred
May 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM
With my 64GB SSD, it created two / (root) partitions. One current install and one for next install. I then have all data on rotating drive.

I always partition in advance and now use gpt partitioning as Ubuntu will boot from gpt with either UEFI or BIOS. Only if installing Windows is the issue of Windows only boots from gpt with UEFI.

fred@fred-Precise:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdd3 28G 10G 17G 39% /
udev 2.0G 12K 2.0G 1% /dev
tmpfs 791M 1.1M 790M 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 2.0G 140K 2.0G 1% /run/shm
/dev/sdc2 100G 34G 67G 34% /mnt/shared
/dev/sdc6 97G 49G 43G 54% /mnt/data
/dev/sdd4 28G 4.8G 22G 19% /media/Quantal

I do not know about AMD, there was a while back an issue of support on the very new 7000 series cards from AMD's linux driver.
This may have changed:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_1210_amdstock&num=1
On the proprietary driver side, the AMD Catalyst 12.11 Beta Linux graphics driver was used. For this initial testing, three discrete graphics cards from the AMD Radeon HD 5000/6000 series were used, since pre-HD5000 graphics cards are now on the Catalyst Legacy driver and the latest-generation Radeon HD 7000 series hardware still doesn't fully work with the open-source Gallium3D "RadeonSI" driver.