PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] RR install on MBP3,1

pyrocide
May 10th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Hello All,

I recently came into possession of a MBP with a broken hinge and decided to throw Mountain Lion and Ubuntu on it.

Mountain Lion install was the easy part, took a bit longer than expected, never the less done and over with.

I installed rEFIt
Partitioned my 500GB drive (100GB for Ubuntu)
Used unetbootin on 4 different USB drives (Sandisk 4GB, PNY 4GB, noname 1GB, Corsair 8GB) as I read that Mac hardware doesn't like USB drives often. Got 4 bootable USB drives (working on a separate Win laptop)
Burned the x64 ISO to a DVD as well just for safe measure.

Restart into the rEFIt menu, run partition tool, and choose Boot Legacy OS from HD/CD/DVD/"ubuntu usb" etc whatever the media is and every time this is done, I get a "missing OS" message and a blinking cursor.

I even tried booting the boot img and get to the grub screen choose any one of the 2 install options as well as the live option and just sit staring at a blank screen. Let it sit for hours on one drive and still nothing.

Tried holding C to boot off CD instead of rEFIt, cleared NVRAM, reset SMC, MacOSx works flawlessly. Linux installer just will not load.

What am I doing wrong here? I cant possibly have THAT bad of luck with USB drives. Thanks for the help.

/pyro

pyrocide
May 10th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Anyone got any ideas?

pyrocide
May 12th, 2013, 03:05 AM
bump again.