PDA

View Full Version : Import digital photographs in XFCE

spillz
May 9th, 2013, 09:56 PM
In Settings -> Removable Drives and Media -> Camera, I check "import digital photographs when connected". I then type the name of the program I want to used in the "Command:" prompt, but is it possible to also specify the path/uri to the camera, such as: "program %uri" where %uri represent the uri to the camera? Does anyone know if there is a syntax for this?

(I am using Ubuntu 12.04 with XFCE 4.8)

2F4U
May 10th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Why would you want to do that? For USB devices, that path could change, for example, depending on if there are other USB devices attached.

spillz
May 10th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Why would you want to do that? For USB devices, that path could change, for example, depending on if there are other USB devices attached.

That's precisely why I want to do that, because my program doesn't necessarily know which of several attached media devices it should be importing from. On the other hand, the system knows that a camera/SD card has been plugged in and therefore it also knows the filesystem location of the photos on it, so I was expecting there would be some way to pass this info to the program.

spillz
May 10th, 2013, 08:56 PM
So after a bit more googling I figured out that the camera command will replace "%d" with the device name, which is good enough for me. So for example:

picture-importer -d %d

will get replaced with

picture-importer -d /dev/sdb

(The -d switch tells the program I use that this is a unix device location.)