PDA

View Full Version : Something lighter than Azureus?

K.Mandla
July 12th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Can anyone suggest something a bit lighter than Azureus, but with more features than bittorrentgui? I like Azureus, but it's getting on my nerves lately because it drags on my system so much. :neutral:

Paerez
July 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
Bittornado is good, but I think it might be a "one torrent one window" application.

rTorrent is cool, but you have to learn the keyboard shortcuts since it runs in the terminal, but its tiny!

The other thing you can do is run azureus "nicely". You can do this by saying "run application" (usually Alt-F2) and typing "nice azureus". This will run Azureus low priority on the cpu, so your other apps will go quicker.

Tom Brokaw
July 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Not sure for right now, but uTorrent is supposed to have a Linux port in the works. It's very light, runs off a 150KB .exe in windows, and is very nicely featured.

Paerez
July 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM
some people say it works well in wine (uTorrent, thats is) but I found it buggy. uTorrent is the best, imo, for winxor$

mech7
July 12th, 2006, 10:05 PM
uTorrent is the best.. but is only for windows :(

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 10:09 PM
using KDE i have to say ktorrent, for a good GTK client, well, there isn't one, utorrent is as ok as you'll get though.

tseliot
July 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM
ktorrent?

briguy
July 12th, 2006, 10:10 PM
ktorrent is great.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 10:15 PM
ktorrent?

Ktorrent is every downloaders wet dream, as usual, it's a QT app as all the wet dream apps are, Amarok, K3B and so on...

Kubuntu is calling... ;)

Laterix
July 12th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I use client called Transmission. It's GTK and very simple, but still it has all I need. You should check it out (http://transmission.m0k.org/).

Paerez
July 12th, 2006, 10:17 PM
transmission is cool but no uPNP or DHT...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 10:19 PM
For the users that don't want just bittorrent, Apollon integrates EVERY P2P protocol known to man, gnutella, fasttrack, DC++, edonkey and about five more i can't remember.

All perfectly transferable between diffrent apps because of the KDE integration, use it once and you'll never ever want to go back.

Rip it, share it, burn it, file it, store it, compress it, find it, all is done via one simple interface.

benplaut
July 12th, 2006, 10:31 PM
I use client called Transmission. It's GTK and very simple, but still it has all I need. You should check it out (http://transmission.m0k.org/).

agreed... not only is it light and simple, i've found it to be noticably faster than bittornado or gnome-bt

Kimm
July 12th, 2006, 10:45 PM
You can use Ktorrent in Gnome/XFCE, it will look out of place and eat more memory than "native" apps, but it will be less of a drag than Azureus.

PhilipsHead
July 12th, 2006, 10:55 PM
You can use Ktorrent in Gnome/XFCE, it will look out of place and eat more memory than "native" apps, but it will be less of a drag than Azureus.

I would NOT recommend that, i would rather recommend using the btdownloadgui client, not the original though, for some reason Ubuntu decided against ever shipping the full fledged client, download it as a deb supporting python 2.4 and either install it via gdebi or rpm -ivh.

Jucato
July 13th, 2006, 12:26 AM
I would NOT recommend that, i would rather recommend using the btdownloadgui client, not the original though, for some reason Ubuntu decided against ever shipping the full fledged client, download it as a deb supporting python 2.4 and either install it via gdebi or rpm -ivh.

Why wouldn't you recommend that? I use it in GNOME. Currently, it only has almost the same memory usage as Firefox with 5 tabs opened or with liferea sitting in the notification area.

Anyway, there's gTorrent, which is a project started by one of our own community members, but so far it's not even in beta yet.

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 01:12 AM
Why wouldn't you recommend that? I use it in GNOME. Currently, it only has almost the same memory usage as Firefox with 5 tabs opened or with liferea sitting in the notification area.

Anyway, there's gTorrent, which is a project started by one of our own community members, but so far it's not even in beta yet.

No i wouldn't recommend it because it starts in download mode and there is no confuguration settings in the GUI that can be saved unlike EVERY other package.

gTorrent? lol, no.

The fact is that it would confuse Gnome users to actually have a torrent browser, so the idiots made it a downloader that starts as a browser and doesn't even remember previous torrents.

YAY for Gnome idiots.

Meanwhile, Ktorrent has been doing ok for years.

BWF89
July 13th, 2006, 01:17 AM
BitTorando has been my torrent client of choice for over a year. But you have to like the one window per torrent type interface.

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 01:21 AM

Mostly because Gnome is and alway has been flaky no matter whether it's been breezy or dapper while the Kubuntu versions have always been stable as a rock.

gtorrent is a joke at best, we all know it, no one uses it, it was over before it begun.

It's like Automatix, i tried that in dapper, clicked two checkboxes, it installed and replaced all of the options... i won't make that mistake again.

Ubuntu is like the soviet union, there is a lot of great software out there but it declares itself as Tzar and chooses.

As a longtime member of the community, as a contributor before Mark even had any idea, as a member of the FSF while he puts most of his developers on NON FREE SOFTWARE as launchpad....

Mark is after one thing, making a quick buck on the popularity, you don't get that, well that is your problem.

Jucato
July 13th, 2006, 02:12 AM
No i wouldn't recommend it because it starts in download mode and there is no confuguration settings in the GUI that can be saved unlike EVERY other package.

I'm not sure I understand correctly (pardon my ignorance). But do you mean that when you start KTorrent, it begins downloading immediately? Is that what you meant? Because if that's what you meant, then try this: Pause/stop (with the square button in the toolbar) whatever you are downloading (either a single torrent or everything). Then quit KTorrent. Then start it again. Only those you left downloading when you closed KTorrent will continue downloading. Those that you stopped/paused will remain paused.

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand correctly (pardon my ignorance). But do you mean that when you start KTorrent, it begins downloading immediately? Is that what you meant? Because if that's what you meant, then try this: Pause/stop (with the square button in the toolbar) whatever you are downloading (either a single torrent or everything). Then quit KTorrent. Then start it again. Only those you left downloading when you closed KTorrent will continue downloading. Those that you stopped/paused will remain paused.

NO, not at all, you can only start btdownloadgui looking for a torrent, you can start ktorrent in current mode (current being as you left it when shut down.) OR in download mode through Konqueror, the options makes most heads spin, but otoh, those people don't use KDE or Ktorrent either.

I am very familiar with Ktorrent, love it, recommend it, i'm part of the bullwhip team on the next release. ;)

Ktorrent is a great piece of software if i do say so myself, but i'm a tad biased. ;)

banjobacon
July 13th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Word.

Jucato
July 13th, 2006, 03:07 AM
OR in download mode through Konqueror, the options makes most heads spin, but otoh, those people don't use KDE or Ktorrent either.

You mean when you click on a .torrent link in Konqueror and it begins downloading it immediately in KTorrent? Probably because I'm using KGet that's why it asks me if I want to download it first or open it (using KTorrent). What's your setting for .torrent files in Konqueror's File Associations (Settings > Configure Konqueror)? I set mine to "Ask whether to save to disk instead".

Of course, I might be misunderstanding you again... :(

PhilipsHead
July 13th, 2006, 03:31 AM
You mean when you click on a .torrent link in Konqueror and it begins downloading it immediately in KTorrent? Probably because I'm using KGet that's why it asks me if I want to download it first or open it (using KTorrent). What's your setting for .torrent files in Konqueror's File Associations (Settings > Configure Konqueror)? I set mine to "Ask whether to save to disk instead".

Of course, I might be misunderstanding you again... :(

Exactly my point, to use Ktorrent you kinda need to use the entire package to make it all good, associations, Use Amarok and set a bittorrent search engine for it, you can make your own playlists if you have broadband, by the time the first song ends it will have found and downloaded the second.

I set torrents to open with Ktorrent, i'm using SuSE factory atm though, with the latest 3.5.3-14 packages the reaction for full download is set to enque in amarok.

bruenig
July 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM
does ktorrent have broadcatching ability, rss feed + filters for automatic download?

kabus
July 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM
rtorrent

G Morgan
July 13th, 2006, 09:48 AM
If/When it gets a port I'd pick uTorrent everytime. Until then I suppose kTorrent works well enough. I just had problems with Az without the bloat, it kept giving me stupid error messages that wouldn't disappear.

GarethMB
July 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Ktorrent is every downloaders wet dream, as usual, it's a QT app as all the wet dream apps are, Amarok, K3B and so on...

Kubuntu is calling... ;)
I find Ktorrent 1.2 slow and 2.0 beta1 doesn't work with my system ](*,) (though it is faster)

Alpha_toxic
July 13th, 2006, 11:33 AM
You can check out Rufus (http://rufus.sourceforge.net/). It's Python, is supposed to be multi-platform and looks simmilar to µTorrent. The problem is that it doesn't seem to be in active developement for some time now.

caish5
July 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Hey this Transmission thingy is rather nice!
Probably could use a little more development but so far i like what i see.

Here's a .deb for the lazy among us :)
Transmission0.61 (http://users.bigpond.net.au/caish5/transmission-0.6.1_0.6.1-1_i386.deb)

To start it, fire up a terminal and type...

transmission-gtk

GarethMB
July 13th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Hey this Transmission thingy is rather nice!
Probably could use a little more development but so far i like what i see.

Here's a .deb for the lazy among us :)
Transmission 0.61 (http://users.bigpond.net.au/caish5/transmission-0.6.1_0.6.1-1_i386.deb)
>_< i can't launch this by typing transmission into the terminal. What's the launch command?

Ignore. It's transmission-gtk.

caish5
July 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Sorry, i forgot to include that. Stumped me for a while too.:)

transmission-gtk

K.Mandla
July 18th, 2006, 03:13 AM
Hey! I owe you guys and gals a huge thank-you. rTorrent is my new favorite little app. Does exactly what I wanted, and doesn't slow down the rest of the party.

Cheers, all! You guys and gals are what make Ubuntu great! :KS

brownknight
August 6th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Try DELUGE
I too am looking for a replacement and this is what they say on their website...

Deluge has been one of, if not the most rapidly developed bittorrent client on the web. Now, Deluge is among the most feature-rich clients in development (second only to Azureus, but without the bloat, and tied with µTorrent according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitTorrent_client) , and it does this without the need of tools such as Java or Wine. Deluge was created with the intention of being lightweight and unobtrusive.

Ripfox
August 6th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Once you go Transmission...well...I could never go back!

UbuWu
August 6th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Deluge works great!

screaminj3sus
August 6th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Installed Deluge today and it's amazing, light, fast and feature rich way better then that bloated azureus, I think this program should be in the repos.

NoSmokingBandit
August 6th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Not sure for right now, but uTorrent is supposed to have a Linux port in the works. It's very light, runs off a 150KB .exe in windows, and is very nicely featured.

uTorrent for linux would make my day. The windows version is perfect, so this will be a big help for linux users.

Krakatos
August 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM
uTorrent for linux would make my day. The windows version is perfect, so this will be a big help for linux users.

uTorrrent is not open source. Difficult to think they'll port to linux, no matter what they say.,

Anyway, you should try deluge. I must say the latest versions are a better than ktorrent. True it may not be perfect yet, but it's still great, and advancing fast. My new, favorite bittorrent application.

xpod
August 8th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Installed Deluge today and it's amazing, light, fast and feature rich way better then that bloated azureus, I think this program should be in the repos.

Am i missing something here possibly..........it`s in mine:)

Storm Rider
August 8th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Here's a nice one, it's called qBittorrent.
http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net/

Specter043
August 8th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Ktorrent works fine in Gnome, I asked the same question a few weeks ago and ktorrent was what everyone liked. I have to agree. Although if you really want to stay GNOME specific, Deluge is nice.

satkata
August 11th, 2007, 01:33 AM
Check-out Deluge.
There is a new version - 0.5.4.1, great improvements
http://deluge-torrent.org/downloads

or if you want the new version 0.80 of Transmission, look at getdeb.org

http://www.getdeb.net/

I personally find, deluge suits better to the Gnome Desktop, but both clients are really nice.

Blofeld
August 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Deluge is simple and sweet, but unfortunately in v0.5 unstable. It occasionally refuses to start, then you have to delete ...

~/.config/deluge/persistent.state
... thereby losing all ongoing downloads. Very annoying. Let's hope this was fixed in v.0.5.2.

Quillz
August 11th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I like Transmission 0.80 on Mac OS X, not sure how well it performs on Linux, though.

stimpack
August 11th, 2007, 12:41 PM
uTorrent sold out to Bram Cohen who sold out to the MPAA, using uTorrent at this time is a *bad* thing, especially for movies :)

KTorrent is super sweet, rTorrent is a very different kind of client and also has its uses.

Polygon
August 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Deluge is simple and sweet, but unfortunately in v0.5 unstable. It occasionally refuses to start, then you have to delete ...

~/.config/deluge/persistent.state
... thereby losing all ongoing downloads. Very annoying. Let's hope this was fixed in v.0.5.2.

its because they change configuration options, so when it loads a configuration option that no longer exists it causes it to crash...

and you just have to re-add the downloads, if the downloads arnt finished they will be checked and redownloaded