PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] After upgrade to 13.04 system crashes at xubuntu desktop...

twgray
May 7th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Xubuntu 64-bit, after upgrade to 13.04, returns to login screen after bringing up Xubuntu desktop. After I enter password, Xubuntu desktop comes up and starts loading apps from some previous session (not the last session I ran and I'm not sure how to stop it from doing that), and then immediately goes back to the login screen. Syslog says there was a segfault in xfce, but nothing else.

So, 2 questions: What key xfce files should I delete and reinstall, or just reinstall to hopefully overwrite the corrupted image, and
How do I stop Xubuntu from loading a previous session? As I mentioned above, the session it is loading is not the last session used.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, by the way, I can boot into an Enlightenment session successfully. Who knew Enlightenment would end up being the more stable one?

Toz
May 7th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Xubuntu 64-bit, after upgrade to 13.04, returns to login screen after bringing up Xubuntu desktop. After I enter password, Xubuntu desktop comes up and starts loading apps from some previous session (not the last session I ran and I'm not sure how to stop it from doing that),
From either the working Enlightenment session or from a console login (Ctrl+Alt+F1), delete the files in $HOME/.cache/sessions. This will stop the loading of previously saved session apps.

and then immediately goes back to the login screen. Syslog says there was a segfault in xfce, but nothing else.
Can you post back the exact wording in the message? You might also find some more relevant information in the $HOME/.xsession-errors (or $HOME/.xsession-errors.old if you log in with another X session like Enlightenment to view the file.

twgray
May 7th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info...I am away from that machine until later today but will post more log info when I get back to it.

twgray
May 8th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Well, it seems that removing the ~/.cache/sessions files solved the problem. As I said, the session it was loading was not a previous session I recognized so perhaps one of the files in .cache/sessions got corrupted and was causing the return to login screen. But all working great now. Thanks for the help.

wybo2
November 9th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Well, it seems that removing the ~/.cache/sessions files solved the problem. As I said, the session it was loading was not a previous session I recognized so perhaps one of the files in .cache/sessions got corrupted and was causing the return to login screen. But all working great now. Thanks for the help.

I have this problem after upgrading to 13.10 and removing ~/.cache/sessions helped, but only temporarily. After the next login I got the same problem again.
I finally solved it by editing (as root) /etc/rc.local and adding:

rm -rf /home/myhomedir/.cache/sessions

Not really nice of course, but at least I can now wait for the real solution without this daily frustration.

Toz
November 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
I have this problem after upgrading to 13.10 and removing ~/.cache/sessions helped, but only temporarily. After the next login I got the same problem again.
I finally solved it by editing (as root) /etc/rc.local and adding:

rm -rf /home/myhomedir/.cache/sessions

Not really nice of course, but at least I can now wait for the real solution without this daily frustration.

Hello @wybo2 and welcome to the forums.

Sessions are saved if during logout, you check the "Save session for future logins" checkbox or if "Settings Manager -> Session and Startup -> General tab -> Automatically save session on logout" is checked.