PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu's First Class Language.

donniezazen
May 7th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Hello,

With Ubuntu's convergence goal, what programming language route should beginners focus on? On developers.ubuntu.com, it says gtk and python are recommended. I have just finished Codecademy's Web Fundamentals tutorial and now have an option to either choose Python or Javascript before I pick up a book to dive deeper. What language should I choose? How do you get to learn QML? What is Ubuntu's first class language like Gnome has chosen JavaScript?

Thanks.

PS:-Sorry, I suppose this is kind of redundant question.

Kimm
May 7th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Its a pretty redundant question, you can essentially pick up any language you want and be able to develop applications for ubuntu just fine :) However, it depends a bit on what you want to do. If you want to develop desktop applications using GTK, I would say you should go with Python, C or C++, mainly because these languages have well supported bindings for GTK. But if you are more interested in web development go with JavaScript (yes, I know its not just used for web development, but in gnome I believe it is mainly used for applets and desktop customization, same for windows 8).

Python is pretty much treated as a first class citizen in ubuntu, it is also a very nice language to work with so I would suggest you start there! However, it is not the fastest language in the worl, but you wont notice this unless you write computational-heavy programs.

donniezazen
May 7th, 2013, 04:40 PM
That's interesting. I didn't know that Windows 8 uses JavaScript. Maybe JS will be more beneficial as I use Gnome and Chromebook. Thanks.

Cheesemill
May 7th, 2013, 07:47 PM
If you're want to develop mobile phone and tablet applications then the official Ubuntu SDK (http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-started/gomobile/) is based on QT5 and QML